Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700-515xt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hey Paul -

Hope you had a glorious Christmas?

My clients HP Tower (see specs above) has decided - from 1 day to the next - not to 'see' the HP brand optical drive that came in it from the factory.

What I've done to trouble shoot the issue:

1. I removed that drive, connected it to another HP tower here in my shop.  Works PERFECTLY.

2. Got a different optical drive from my stock and installed it in clients HP.  Does NOT 'see' it.

3. Installed different cable to both drives while in clients HP. NO CHANGE.

4. Connected a NEW External USB optical drive.  NO CHANGE.

I'm STUCK, Paul.  Suggestion - other than a NEW HP tower - would be appreciated.... !

Patrick Dowling

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Pat:

Yes I did, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!

The only suggestion I can offer regarding that issue is to see if one of the resolution steps at the link below resolve the problem.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

Normally, Resolution step 6 fixes the problem of the DVD drive not showing up, but try them all if 6 doesn't work.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, Pat:

Yes I did, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!

The only suggestion I can offer regarding that issue is to see if one of the resolution steps at the link below resolve the problem.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

Normally, Resolution step 6 fixes the problem of the DVD drive not showing up, but try them all if 6 doesn't work.

HP Recommended

Hey Paul 

Happy New Year -

OK. Went to that link you sent. Tried Step 6 1st (by your suggestion). NO CHANGE.

Did a BUNCH of 'other stuff' to confirm the health of the mechanism.

Then did Step 3 in the link. Rebooted. THERE'S THE DRIVE. 

What a way to start the New Year. Yea !!

Again, thanks a million - Paul.

Patrick

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Patrick.

Happy New Year to you too!

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.