Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix 860-091na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

System board: 2B4B 1.04

BIOS: A0.47

I have upgraded the BIOS on this machine via HP Support Assistant. The process appeared to complete successfully.

1. Now, a few minutes after powering up the fans spin up (noisily) to maximum, the CPU temperature reaches 100C. I use the RealTemp utility to measure this. This condition lasts for a few minutes before settling down. The Windows Task Manager shows a process called HP Device Discovery taking 100% of one core during this.

2. HP Support Assistant continues to prompt me with a new BIOS upgrade, SP78869, which is for BIOS version A0.47, the same as just installed.

HP Support Assistant is at its latest version.

The 1st issue concerns me. Is my CPU being heat-damaged? Should I revert the BIOS upgrade, and if so how?

Is the second issue a bug with HP Support Assistant, or do I need to go through another BIOS upgrade?

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi! @KenAppleby

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand after upgrading BIOS on your PC the PC overheats.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC apart from upgrading the BIOS?

I have checked the records according to the HP website the latest BIOS available for your PC is A0.38 Rev.A which was released on OCT 2016.

So please downgrade the BIOS back to A0.38 and check if the issue persists.

Please find the link to downgrade the BIOS.

I don't think the CPU being damaged on your PC.

I would suggest you wait until the BIOS is released in HP.com and then upgrade the BIOS.

You can also run a system diagnostics on your PC and check if any component has been damaged.

Refer this article to know how to run system diagnostics on your PC.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for the response. 

I will replace the BIOS with 0.38. 

I can see on the HP support web site that 0.38 is the latest for this product. I didn't check this before upgrading to 0.47 because I trusted the HP Support Assistant to get this right, as that seems a minimum requirement for it. 

Would you recommend that I uninstall HP Support Assistant, or just ignore it?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@KenAppleby, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Sometimes there might be some glitches with HP support assistant.

So I would suggest you uninstall HP support assistant from your PC.

And install the drivers directly from HP website.

Have a great weekend ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So let me get this straight:

HP Employee advises to remove HP software that manages (or perhaps I should write: should manage) hardware drivers/software supplied by HP.

Did I get this right?

Does it sound right? I don't think so. So perhaps: How about fixing it in the first place?

As an example:

I do own two SONY VAIO laptops. One of them is 9 (NINE) years old and runs on Vista. The other one will be four (FOUR) years old later this year and runs on Win 8.1.

Both have little piece of software installed that is called VAIO Update. It manages hardware drivers/software very well and absolutely without any issues even though SONY stopped producing and sold VAIO business two years ago (I think).

I do expect exactly the same level of support from HP - especially within the warranty/support window. Not the mayhem with various and confusing BIOS versions being supplied via HP Assistant - which may or may not be applicable.

(see my entry in this thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/BIOS-Update/td-p/5977696)

And finally FYI: HP website does not list correct drivers / latest versions of these for my recently purchased PC. More than happy to point out in details.

HP Recommended

@krzemien, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have HP support assistant issues with your PC.

What is the support assistant version installed on your PC?

What is the issue you have on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

If you having issues with HP support assistant then you must be using an older version of HP support assistant.

And I don't think after updating BIOS caused the laptop to overheat.

There has to be something else which might have triggered the PC to overheat.

If you are facing the similar issue, please provide the BIOS version and the operating system you are running on your PC.

Also, run a system diagnostics on your PC and let me know the results.

Refer this article to know how to run system diagnostics on your PC.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Support Assistant recommends that I install a bogus BIOS in my very expensive desktop PC, potentially causing it damage. I am surprised and disappointed by this. My expectation when buying this machine was to be able to trust the manufacturer-preinstalled tools to manage my investment.

I no longer have confidence in HP's ability to do this.

Out of the box, HP laptop and desktop products are excellent and I am not going to change my consumption  habits as a result of this experience. But HP, please take note of this failing.

I appreciate that I am probably communicating with an algorithm. 

HP Recommended

Greetings @KenAppleby,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Chimney_83 thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi

I have the same problem ... I installed bios 0.47 and I can't go back to 0.38: update is refused by the software

It is the second time you provide bad BIOS for this mother board. I really don't understand how you work and how you communicate !
The first time I had to send you back the PC ...

What can we do now to go back to 0.38 ?

Pascal

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.