Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hp p6540y
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I have hp p6540y with Windows 7 upgraded to free Windows 10. I need new motherboard. Can I just replace with exact same board and will I have any problem with Windows license?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This page should be the same motherboard in your system..but you should visually verifry...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01925486

Form factor: Micro-ATX: 9.6 in x 9.6 in 

Motherboard name: H-RS880-uATX 

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

#HPExpertDay

You can replace the board but your license key will not work and you might have to buy a new Product Key from Microsoft.

Hence, if you intend to replace motherboard, get it replaced from HP (by calling and settingup a service) or take it to HP authorized service center.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

You need to install the same form factor - so that it fits and the screws line up. You will also need to install a new OS, you cannot reuse the HP OS Image on a different motherboard unless you replace it with the same motherboard.

Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended
I am using exact same model # board. So will there be issues with license?
HP Recommended

If it is an HP board...then you should not. THis is the HP part number and you get it from an HP supplier.

HP Recommended
Model # did not show up in your reply thanks
HP Recommended

This page should be the same motherboard in your system..but you should visually verifry...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01925486

Form factor: Micro-ATX: 9.6 in x 9.6 in 

Motherboard name: H-RS880-uATX 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.