Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion FK484AV-ABA, model m4900t running windows 7 64 bit. RAID-1 setup.

PC crashed. Cannot restart. On cold boot, received the error message that RAID-1 and both hard drives failed. Ran PC-Doctor and received the following diagnostics:

CPU, Memory, all hard drives OK.

Boot Path Diagnostic

Error Code:     BIOHD-2

Warning:          No drives detected.

Suggestion:    Turn off system and verify the drive cables are securely attached.

Since PC-Doctor verified that both drives were OK, I am assuming that the cables also were OK. Any suggestions on what the problem may be??

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Go into the BIOS to see if the drives are recognized. Post your results here.

That is an unusual condition for PC Doktor to report. Normally a BIOHD-2 error code means that a hard disk has failed, but I do doubt that both drives failed at once.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Go into the BIOS to see if the drives are recognized. Post your results here.

That is an unusual condition for PC Doktor to report. Normally a BIOHD-2 error code means that a hard disk has failed, but I do doubt that both drives failed at once.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Your reply led me to investigate further. While the BIOS (in CMOS) did recognize both drives, I went into the RAID Matrix Storage Manager. The Disk/Vol Info window told me that the RAID volume was degraded - the member on Port 0 was 'Offline'. I disconnected the SATA cable from Port 0, rebooted, and Windows 7 booted up normally (I had previously switched out all SATA cables to eliminate them from the cause). This told me that the Samsung HD connected to Port 0 had crashed. I will now find a replacement for it. Once the RAID controller configures this HD, I will also replace the drive on Port1 - just in case it is getting ready to crash also. Many thanks for your reply.

HP Recommended

Yep. I figured that it had to be a RAID issue. Two drives dying at once would be extraordinary.  Am glad you are getting it back up and running.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi, I have had this problem very recently, My pc was stuck on the blue HP loading screen for an hour before it loaded, at first it was my PC slowing down but the problem persisted, I used PC doctor to verify the problem and diagnostics were BIOHD-2 Failure, No drivers detected, so if followed the instructions to install a new driver program (what this forum told me to do) and the issue was resolved, or so I though, the day later the problem was back, but this time I couldnt use the keyboard to go to diagnostics and so my PC is still on the same screen, its been 3 days and nothings happening, PLEASE HELP !

HP Recommended

I have the HP model P6210y Tower.  Product NY545AA-ABA

I had a virus that corrupted my system.

By the time I went to try and remove it with software the Hard drive was not being recognized.  Upon the problem escalating I saw a solution to move jump switches but could not get to them.

In lieu of that I removed the battery from the motherboard. I put it back after 5 minutes.

I ran the system diagnostics and it would never recognize the hard drive.

I got the error BIOHD-2, No drives detected.

Please help me resolve this problem

Thank you,

Sleepy D.

HP Recommended

Hi, I realize that this discussion has never been closed I therefore post a new message related to this discussion.

A friend of mine gave me a Pavilion p6138fr operating under Vista. At start I also havethe following message "Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter"

No problem to go to the BIOS and clearly it indicates no drive detected. I undestand the problem.

Diagnosing the problem pressing F9 at start PC doctor leads to the following messages:

memory test success

CPU test success

Hard disk drive success!?

CD/DVD drive success

but warning  concerning starting way with error code BIOHD-2 no drive detected

then pressing escape key twice to quit the PC starts normally  without any problem.

I therefore tested the HDD using using"crytaldiskinfo" as a result the HDD is qualified good

I also checked the BIOS battery and I found 3V

Then I decided to completely reinstalled VISTA without any problem from the partition recovery

No problem during the installation and several computer restarts

This morning again message "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter"

Once again no problem to start through the diagnostic PC doctor  phase with the same error code BIOHD-2.

I think that my message can help some guys facing the same problem.

I do no have any solution but I have some doubts about the cause (defective HDD). I do not undersand why the HDD is recognised through PC doctor analysis and not when PC starts and why Crystaldiskinfo leads to a good drive.

I would appreciate further comments  and any possible explanation

HP Recommended

If that is the original HDD from the 2009 model year, I would not be surprised if it has issues. 

Take a look at the HDD. Find the manufacturer and model information. Western Digital, Samsung et al.

Go to the manufacturer's website.  Look for downloads for the drive model.

Manufacturers normally have utilities available for download.  Some can be booted from DOS and others in windows that will get the SMART data from the disk controller and report on the drive health.

You can connect the drive to another PC on an unused port. Use that PC to get the drive health information by use of the manufacturer's utility application.

HP Recommended

Hi, yes it is the original HDD from 2009

It is a western digital WD10EADS 1T HDD. I just downloaded from the support WD site "Data lifeguard diagnostic for windows. The result is SMART STATUS  "Pass".

I conclude that the HDD is not the root cause of the problem.

What do think about?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.