Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

My PC crashes (BSOD) now every time I try to format a USB drive.  Happens over and over with all different drives.  MY BIOS may be out of date, but I'm afraid to update since I upgraded the original Win 8.1 OS to Win 10.  The only available BIOS download is for Win 8.1 and nothing for Win 10.  Will that 8.1 download work or will it cause problems

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please post the HP product number for your PC. How to Find the HP Model Number and the HP Product Number or let HP automatically find your PC model number and HP network attached printers. This will allow others to review your issue, make suggestions and review your responses. This is usually the best way to get assistance.

Windows 8 BIOS updates are compatible with W10 according to HP internal. I suggest that you look over the fix list.

Depending the total size of the backup objects, you may need either a bigger USB flash drive or to format it differently to take advantage of the USB flash drive capacity.  I would suggest using NTFS as it's very accommodating to different size flash drives.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@STEVE135

Do not (attempt to) install a BIOS from / for Windows 8.1 into Windows 10.

The culprit might be one or more unidentified hardware IDs in your Device Manager.

Migrated systems do present challenges -- if your computer's Support Home provides HP drivers for Windows 10, do install what is available.

Start with the chipset, network audio -- and then whatever you can find.

Rather than inflicting more BSODs on your computer, perhaps ask a friend to format the drive on his computer. 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the heads up on the BIOS--will leave that alone.  My problem is that, in using my backup software to create a bootable recovery drive, it insists on formatting the USB drive first.  The format gets mostly done , then the BSOD.  Get error: stopcode FAT FILE SYSTEM.

Any thoughts>

Thanks

Steve

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur is on track with you, so I will only ask that you mention the following.

1) Manufacturer of original hard drive.

2) Manufacturer of external hard drive.

3) Name of cloning software.   It should not be using the FAT file system.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please post the HP product number for your PC. How to Find the HP Model Number and the HP Product Number or let HP automatically find your PC model number and HP network attached printers. This will allow others to review your issue, make suggestions and review your responses. This is usually the best way to get assistance.

Windows 8 BIOS updates are compatible with W10 according to HP internal. I suggest that you look over the fix list.

Depending the total size of the backup objects, you may need either a bigger USB flash drive or to format it differently to take advantage of the USB flash drive capacity.  I would suggest using NTFS as it's very accommodating to different size flash drives.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks for you reply and the suggestions are good ones.  My flash drive was plenty big enough and formatted to NTFS.  Finally, as a last resort I unplugged another external hard drive and was finally able to make a bootable USB and also was able to format another USB drive with BSOD.  So that does seem to solve it for now although I have no idea why this just started happening since I've had this setup for some years.  

As for the BIOS, I would like to update it (mine is dated 2012) but am still afraid to use the Win 8.1 update without assurances from someone at HP.  Unfortunately, I can only talk to them now (out of warranty) if I pay them!

Again, thanks for your help.

Steve

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.