Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
touchsmart 610
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I hope you can help, I have spent hours scouring the forums for answers. I have a friends computer I have been trying to fix, rarely find a problem I can't but this one has me stumped.

From what I can tell there was a common fault with the power brick and the system completely shutting off for what appears to be no reason. So I replaced the power brick, still the same issue.

I checked the ram, I used memtest 86....... the computer crashed almost instantly so maybe I thought the ram was also an issue. I replaced the ram with ram I know works, but it still completely shuts off.

I did a thorough scan of the hdd and can't find any bad sectors or errors.

the problem first started happening with win7 home (what it came with), I replaced it with win7 Ultimate (clean install). so it's definately not the OS.

this is driving me completely insane, there seems to be no other threads I can find where the problem got to this level with this model.

please help.

thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi There,

Thank you for getting back to me, I wanted to test my theory for a couple of days before I posted. I ended up figuring out the problem that it seems no one else has. With the HP touchsmart 610 it appears along with the common power brick and memory issues there appears to be another HUGE issue I suspect will be a common thing from factory. I tried everything as you know and it had me baffled but I was convinced it had to be an over hearing issue.

I found the solution.... At least the one that worked for me. Turns out that there wasn't any thermal past between the cpu and heatsink.... NONE WHAT SO EVER. I put some thermal past on and two days non stop with out a shut down. So problem is solved. Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi there @boss290gt,

May the Forums be with you!  I understand that you are seeing a computer restart at random.  I am happy to assist you with this.

You have already tried replacing the power supply, with no change, but are you testing the system connected to the same electrical outlet at your friend's place, or did you take it back home with you?  Just to rule out any possible power issue, try a different electrical circuit, and a direct power connection to a wall outlet.

Also, please see the following: HP PCs - The Computer Restarts Unexpectedly (Windows 7). Obviously some of the options shown are off the table due to some of the things you have already tried, but steps 1 - 3 could still be useful especially if you can see any specific error message.

Please let me know whether that helps or not, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Hi There,

Thank you for getting back to me, I wanted to test my theory for a couple of days before I posted. I ended up figuring out the problem that it seems no one else has. With the HP touchsmart 610 it appears along with the common power brick and memory issues there appears to be another HUGE issue I suspect will be a common thing from factory. I tried everything as you know and it had me baffled but I was convinced it had to be an over hearing issue.

I found the solution.... At least the one that worked for me. Turns out that there wasn't any thermal past between the cpu and heatsink.... NONE WHAT SO EVER. I put some thermal past on and two days non stop with out a shut down. So problem is solved. Thank you for your help.
HP Recommended
Also yes I did bring it back to my place..... And that is definitely a valid option that if someone else faces similar issues with these models. And I hadn't thought of that, in my case I know there is no issue with my power or network..... I'm running a beefed up home network that would put most businesses to shame. Total overkill but I like to do it right the first time.
HP Recommended
The idea came to me when I slept on it overnight, it occuree to me that even though these models essentially run on laptop hardware that this had an interchangable cpu/heatsink setup which I've only ever seen on desktops never in a laptop board. Thank you again though I really do appreciate the support.
HP Recommended

You are very welcome and thank you for all the feedback on what you found. Personal experiences and solutions are always useful. 

I am glad to hear you found a solution.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.