Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Prodesk 600 G1 DM
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm trying to use recently bought Samsung PM951 m.2 SSD like a boot device in my HP 600 G1 mini, and install the Windows 10 on it.

The exact model is: 

Samsung PM951 256GB M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4, NVME SSD, ( MZVLV256HCHP-00000)

The problem is that the SSD never shows in the BIOS!

For 2-3 days i tryed everything that I saw in 2-3 threads here and over the net, but no luck...

The SSD drive is visible in the Windows if I install it on the HDD,

it visible even trough new Win10 instalation, but after the copy of the files and the restarts 

the system just hangs out, because the SSD it's NOT avaible nowhere in the BIOS...

I saw some successful instalations of the SM951 model in the forum, mine is PM951, but the important specs. 

look the same so it's should be possible too. 

Any help would be much appreciated 😉

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your posted information is not very clear.  Install it on the HDD?  What does that mean?

How does the system run if you don't copy files and just try a few restarts?

I suggest that you visit the Samsung site and look for both a driver and a firmware update.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hello, Dave, thanks for the reply.

I mean that if the Windows 10 is installed on the SATA HDD I can see the m.2 SSD drive in My computer.

When I start new Windows 10 installation I can see and choose the m.2 SSD drive like destination of the installation ,

but after the first restart trough the installation process the system just can find the SSD and that it's.

It's never visible in the BIOS despite I have tryed everything in the BIOS settings.

The BIOS it's the latest version from the HP's site 2.22 i think. 

I think that i have all the drivers needed allready...

HP Recommended

@mugensx

How exactly are you installing W10?

W10 standard version or pro version?

MBR or GPT?

UEFI or Legacy mode?

Did you disconnect the HD when installing W10 on the m.2 SSD?

Did you check with Samsung for a driver and a firmware update?

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi,
You might see your M.2 NVMe SSD at default settings of BIOS.
1. Disable ‘Legacy Support’ setting in the BIOS option 'Secure Boot Configuration' or set to 'UEFI Only' in the BIOS option 'Storage Option ROMs'.
After that you cannot see M.2 in BIOS because in UEFI it is a part of Windows Boot Manager.
2. !!! Disconnect your SATA HDD or disable its EFI partition.
3. Install W10.

HP Recommended

@Dmitry54

"After that you cannot see M.2 in BIOS because in UEFI it is a part of Windows Boot Manager."

Observing m.2 in the BIOS has nothing to do with whether the PC is in legacy mode or UEFI mode.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Dmitry54, but I think that i have tried everything already,

I'm beggining to think that the problem it's in the specific SSD.

It's a OEM product not made for retail sale, it's not fully supported from the Samsung 

Magician software, and there it's not specific drivers and firmware updates.

For now maybe I will order a standard SATA SSD and further when the prices

of the m.2 SSD's are more cheap I will try again with other model of this type.

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.