Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite e 9220f
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Had to replace the hard drive (1T) in my PMD.  The computer sees it in Devices and Printers but I can't access it.  I can't format it or get at it in any way.  It doesn't show up when I access the Computer window from the Start menu.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

How to prep a hard drive

OK, lets check in Disk Management. Your boot drive will show up a Disk0. Stay away from that.

The added drive should show up as Disk1.

Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, then:

• Click to open Computer Management. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
  • Right-click an unallocated region on your 'new" hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.
  • In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.
  • Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then click Next.
  • Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then click Next.
  • In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:
    • If you don't want to format the volume right now, click Do not format this volume, and then click Next.
    • To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.
  • Review your choices, and then click Finish.
This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

TheRAFGroup.

Have you tried to use Disk Managment to partition and format the drive???

REO

HP Recommended

How to prep a hard drive

OK, lets check in Disk Management. Your boot drive will show up a Disk0. Stay away from that.

The added drive should show up as Disk1.

Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, then:

• Click to open Computer Management. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
  • Right-click an unallocated region on your 'new" hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.
  • In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.
  • Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then click Next.
  • Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then click Next.
  • In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:
    • If you don't want to format the volume right now, click Do not format this volume, and then click Next.
    • To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.
  • Review your choices, and then click Finish.
This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Wow! That worked like a charm. Many thanks.

At the risk of tempting fate, can you recommend a back-up program that will automatically mirror what goes on my C: Drive?

HP Recommended

Your not temping fate, as a serious inquiry is always welcomed !!!!

I prefer to clone the hard drive, that way, the clone can be installed in case of a total disaster/situation.  Once you develop a schedule (4 or 6 weeks) it's become a routine.  Just last week I cloned this unit, and the next day it auto-installed WIN 10. Although I could roll it back to WIN 7, I will not. The WIN 7 clone is now my safety.  In 3 weeks I will start cloning this unit with a new HD, marking it WIN 10.

Both Seagate and Western (WD) Digital offer a free program called "Disc Wizard" that can perform a clone.  The only caveat is to purchase a Seagate or WD drive equal to your present drive, or larger. Personally, I use only 1TB drives in my older systems.  I also have a preference for ST1000DM003 drives.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Again, thanks.  I'll look into Seagate and WD's programs. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.