Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I did purchase compatible memory and it was from a source I found using the specs for a Pavilion p6510y. The 8 GB is in two sticks of 4 GB each. Using your logic of not mixing memory from different manufactures or capacity, I just tried removing all memory and the installing a 4 GB stick in slot 1 and a 4 GB stick in slot 2. Both sticks are from the same manufacturer. When I booted up it said I had 8 GB of INSTALLED memory (3.24 GB usable). Doesn't mater what I use if 4 GB or more is installed in pairs then I have 3.24 GB USABLE.

HP Recommended

Not sure what you are asking me.

It tells me I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

It tells me I have 12228 MB  PC3-10600 RAM installed

Memory Bank 1 4096 MB DDR3 SDRAM

Memory Bank 2 4096 MB DDR3 SDRAM

Memory Bank 3 2048 MB DDR3 SDRAM

Memory Bank 4 2048 MB DDR3 SDRAM

In the Control Panel checking on Memory Installed it says what I have installed. It also says haw much is usable. That figure is either 1.something (when I installed a single 2 GB stick as per your request) or 3.24 GB usable if 4 GB or more is installed.

HP Recommended

@erico,

Thanks for the assist.  He never reported back what CPIUD CPU-Z stated on the timing.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@KWB2 wrote:

I did purchase compatible memory and it was from a source I found using the specs for a Pavilion p6510y. The 8 GB is in two sticks of 4 GB each. Using your logic of not mixing memory from different manufactures or capacity, I just tried removing all memory and the installing a 4 GB stick in slot 1 and a 4 GB stick in slot 2. Both sticks are from the same manufacturer. When I booted up it said I had 8 GB of INSTALLED memory (3.24 GB usable). Doesn't mater what I use if 4 GB or more is installed in pairs then I have 3.24 GB USABLE.

"Doesn't mater what I use if 4 GB or more is installed in pairs then I have 3.24 GB USABLE."  That is because your PC was not delivered with a discrete video card. The memory for the integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics

onboard video is being shared from the memory you have installed. I would install a discrete PCIe x 16 video card with at least 2GB.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

If you are refering to me, I replied I did not understand what you wanted. Do not know "What CPIUD CPU-Z" is let alone how to see what it says. 

HP Recommended

The configuration of memory that you shared in your earlier post was abnormal.

Try it in the following configuration:

DIMM 1 4096 MB DDR3 SDRAM

DIMM2 2048 MB DDR3 SDRAM

DIMM3 4096 MB DDR3 SDRAM

DIMM4 2048 MB DDR3 SDRAM

It might even make enough of a difference and show all of the memory as being recognized by Windows.

If you put in the 4GB sticks by themselves, put them in alternate slots, not next to each other. You called it memory bank 1, but they are actually  slots  DIMM1, DIMM2,DIMM3,DIMM4.  Put same capacity memory modules in DIMM1 & DIMM3 or DIMM2 & DIMM4.

Notice the labels I pointed to in the motherboard configuration diagram.

mobo layout.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I tried putting the 4 GB's in 1 and 3 and the 2 GB's in 2 and 4. Booted up and I checked BIOS. Said that configuration for a total of 12 GB of total memory. Checked Control Panel and it said 12 GB memory installed (3.24 usable). Same problem from the beginning.  Also checked Resource Monitor to see what it said about memory. Using between 70 and 73% of 3319 MB of Physical Memory.

I am just trying to upgrade a computer that was given to me to give to Granddaughter for schoolwork. This has never been this much of a pain. Have done this twice with Windows XP systems. Had no problems.

HP Recommended

Dimm 1 and Dimm 2 are blue in color and Dimm 3 and Dimm 4 are white in color. I understood that you put pairs of memory in the same color. What you told me to do is put a 4 GB and a 2 GB in each color. Which way is correct? Matching memory in the same color or one in each color?

HP Recommended

OK. 

That is a definitely  different than a standard motherboard.

Put the DIMMs in the same colored slots. 

I will look in the manual to see if there is configuration data.

Nope.

There is not a list of slots and configuration. Some HP desktop manuals have that information.

HP Recommended

I finally had time to sit down and I figured out CPU-Z is a free download so downloaded that and ran it. Do you want me to post the entire report or just part of it?

I also ran System Info.It listed Physical Memory as 3,320 MBytes, Available Physical Memory as 2,153 MBytes. If you need any more of that info I can post it. (This was with 12 GBytes installed and it showing 12 GBytes in BIOS)

CPU-Z

Memory Tab

Type DDR3   Size 12 GBytes  Channel # Dual  DC Mode Unganged  NB Frequency varied around 2000MHZ

DRAM Frequency @666 to 667 MHZ   FSB:DRAM 3:10   CL 9.0 clocks  tRCD 9 clocks tRP 9 clocks tRAS 24 clocks tRC 33 clocks   CR 2T

SPD Tab

Slot#1 DDR3   4096MBytes   PC3-10700(667MHZ)   Samsung    Ranks Dual  Week/Year  20/12 

Slot#2  Same info as #1

Slot#3 DDR3  2048 MBytes  PC3-10700(667MHZ)  Elpida  Ranks Dual   Week/Year  29/10

Slot#4  Same info as #3

I did not list part numbers or serial numbers

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.