Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion p6746f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello,

I am looking to squeeze some life out of an old p6746f Pavillion desktop handed down to me.

I am wondering if anyone can help me with any GPU's that would be compatible with this machine. Everything's stock, meaning it needs to be compatible with the Cleveland-GL8 motherboard, and the (2nd Gen) i5 2300.

I am not a hardware genius, so any help at all would be very appreciated. If you can help me find a GPU that should work with this machine I would be so greatful.

I originally got an EVGA GeForce 1050 Ti that didn't work, so I would be looking for a card around that performance, and I'm hoping to spend no more than $150 if possible. I hear the GeForce 750 Ti may work, something to do with Legacy BIOS but I'm not really sure what I need/what my guidlines are.

Again, I would be so greatful for help, I'm not sure who else to ask, if I should provide any more info, please let me know, I will be happy to!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Williquah,

Your circa 2011 system was WIN 7, and has a Legacy BIOS.  It can not use the newer UEFI cards.  You found out with the 1050.   Only 750Ti cards that are Hybrid BIOS  will work.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Williquah,

Your circa 2011 system was WIN 7, and has a Legacy BIOS.  It can not use the newer UEFI cards.  You found out with the 1050.   Only 750Ti cards that are Hybrid BIOS  will work.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
Thank you very much for such a quick response, and informational response, the link is very helpful too. So, I will look for a hybrid BIOS card like one of those, would it be safe to assume that (practically) any card, Hybrid BIOS ready, should work for me then? And does WIN 7 being my original system, like you mentioned, change anything because I'm on WIN 10 64 now?
HP Recommended

@Williquah,

It's a pleasure helping someone with insight, and thoughout questions.  Your question was the GTX 750Ti compatibility. That is where I stopped.  The MSI link shows the full line (of that date) of available MSI products that are Hybrid.  Keeping within the power demand of the various cards determines whether your existing 300W PSU is adequate. The GTX 750Ti draws 60W. Other choices do require looking at the power needs, ie wattage and power plugs.

For example, Shappire also makes a few Hybrid cards, like the Sapphire R9 380 Nitro, but it draws 190W, and requires two 6pin PCIE power leads.  

About the Win7 question... as I said, it locks you to the original BIOS.  Appreciate your throughness, and IF solved, please mark accordingly.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended
Well, it's a pleasure to be learning so much and dealing with someone who is very knowledgeable and informing and helpful.
I did forget to mention that I acquired a 500W PSU beforehand, not that it matters entirely since you gave me multiple ideas with different power demands, just wanted to say that.
I was hoping to stay with a card that uses power straight from the PCIe but I'm sure it'll be easy enough if I do end up needing those power leads or something similar to it.
And I do understand that Win7 point you made, thank you for clarifying.

Again, I can't express how much you've helped me, and hopefully anyone else who may read this or I may help in the future, so thank you very much again, I will hopefully be purchasing a card soon, and I'm sure it will be fine now that I have your knowledge, and I will certainly mark your reply as the solution, as it truly is!
Thank you again, you were the only one who has given me raw intelligence about this topic.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.