Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc7700 convertible m
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, a few days ago I noticed a strange smell coming from my PSU (replacement nr HP 416535-001), so I immediately shut the PC down in order to find the problem. The smell clearly came from my power supply but I couldn't see anything odd like damaged capacitors and the PC still boots and works normally. However I wasn't comfortable with the smell so I decided to take apart an old psu I had laying around to see what the problem might be. The old PSU smelled very similar if not exactly the same when I took the fan apart and smelled under the sticker covering the oil of the fan, some oil had also leaked a little. So I'm not sure what to do now on the HP PSU, open it up and replace the oil? I hope it isn't leaking, I don't know what that could possibly do. I can't see anything leaking but I haven't inspected the back of the fan because I can't see it without opening it first. Taking it to a PC store would be dumb because that would probably cost more money than the whole PC coated me. The PSU is very old just like the whole system so warranty doesn't apply.

Has anyone else reported this problem and what's best for me to do? Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

IUsing machine oil can be done, but sealing the hub with a circular gummed label can be frustrating.  You'd need a absolute dry and oil free surface to re-attach the label.

It would be safer to replace just the fan.

Fans are standard sizing,  but wiring can be either a plug, or soldered to the board. 

Can you identify the fan?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
From what I can see on the sticker, it's an Adda AD0912US-A70GL, underneath that is says :

s
(TCL2)
cs

I browsed eBay and amazon a little bit but I encountered this fan both with and without fan header...
HP Recommended

Just get what is needed. If it's a wired (soldered) unit, and your not able to do soldering, splice the wires.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
K thanks do you think any fan with the same specs will work instead of exactly the same one?
HP Recommended

Because your dealing with a specific RPM fan, please keep it in mind.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.