Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HI there,

I'm having a very annoying problem here with my ML350 G6.

Business is operating in an area where there are recurrent power outages.

ML350 is plugged on an APC  Smart-UPS 1000 (which been tested with no problem at all on another computer) and i have 2 redundant power supplies.

Now, every time there is a power outage (even a little blink), the server goes off. Its not even rebooting, have to turn it on.

I noticed both power supplies leds are amber when this happen (while the server is still off). Leds go green when i turn it on.

After i restarted the server (nothing wrong with the booting of Windows 2008 64 w/o hyper), system log shows 2 errors:

First one is: POST Error 1615-Power supply failure or Power supply unplugged in bay 1.

And: POST Error Power supply Solution not fully redundant. 

Any idea? Test i should do?

Forgive English errors (French Canadian here)

Thanks a lot.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

If the other PCs are okay on the same UPS, then you may want to try another quality 80+ PSU.  A quality PSU should have sufficient reserve capacity on the primary caps to maintain power for a smooth transition to the UPS.  In theory, the lag time during power interruption does not exceed a few mS, even if you use a standby UPS (run PC from AC outlet until UPS detect a problem).

I would recommend the use of a continuous UPS where the PC is running off of the battery on the UPC.  AC power from the wall is used to charge the UPC's battery.  A continuous UPS costs more $, but it provides very clean and stable power with ZERO switch-over lag time.  This should eliminate any issue with the cheap HP power supply in that ML350.

You can build your own continuous UPS by connecting several large +12VDC marine batteries in parallel and charge them with a large +12VDC battery charger.  Use a power inverter of appropriate current rating to convert the +12VDC battery power to 230 AC.

Suspect what you have is a cheap standby UPS.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer royalserpent.

What you are saying is that i have a cheap UPS and/or cheap power supplies...

No other possibilities?

HP Recommended

The UPS unit should switch over to battery power in 3-5mS.  You'll need a digital storage scope to test for proper operation.  You could swap out the UPS but I doubt that would fix the problem.  Since the other PCs could get by with the existing lag time of the UPS, we must focus on the PSU inside the HP.

You could pull the plug from the wall and retest.  Look for a good PSU like the Corsair 400CX or Antec True New 550.  These high-efficiency units come with large filtering caps on the primary side and should last longer on battery power.  You can expect at least 10mS of hold-up time during power interruption.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371020

HP Recommended

I also have a problem with a ML350 G6 with redundant power supply.

When the owner opens his office in the morning the server is powered down with the power cap led in red and the power led in amber, it happens 4 or 5 times a week, I have checked the system log and there is no log at all that can help me determines the problem.  it is like a pòwer fails, but it is behind 2 APC 2.2kva UPS.

Im beggining to figure a power supply problem, this is an redundant configuration.

Any Idea??

HP Recommended

FOr me it was the UPS.

HP Recommended

I have been fighting a similar problem for weeks.  Server shuts down, usually when not in use...overnight or on weekends.  Tech support had me update firm ware to 6.2.  server has stayed up for 2 weeks now. 

HP Recommended

Hey everyone,

I have been checking the HP SUPPORT FORUM and the HP IT RESOURCE CENTER.  Threads are present on both about the problems I am having.  1) the ML350 G6 powers off for no know reason and does not restart (in these cases there is no apparent loss of AC power), and 2) the ML350 G6 does not stay powered-on during power outage even when on UPS of significant size.

Mine has been running for about 2 weeks now without #1 above occurring.  I have upgraded ILO  drivers, and firmware to 6.2.  Yesterday I applied the P410 ROM flash.  Initial results indicate that #1 may be resolved.  Only time will tell…

On #2, the server shows about 2.1 amps draw when running normally, but will not stay on if I unplug the AC on an APC 1500va UPS.  Does anyone know about the sensitivity of these new power supplies?

In the midst of this I had a tape drive fail, so I have had trouble isolating the issue with so many problems occurring…been chasing this server’s problems for 3 months and bought two UPS’s.

Wayne

HP Recommended

After weeks of testing and waiting for the next power outage/surge, I am reasonably certain that there are no software issues present.  Instead, it is a characteristic of the new, energy-efficient power supplies not being compatible with the low-end UPSs on the market.  These new servers will shut off at a minimal fluctuation in voltage, fluctuations that are not noticeable to the eye or noticeable to other servers and PCs.  I delayed this post until convinced that my new configuration is stable. 

I am now using an Eaton PowerWare 9130 700va (double conversion type, not interactive like the APC was).  My #1 power supply is connected to utility power with surge protection, and the #2 power supply is on the Eaton UPS.  If there is extended outage and the server shuts down, it is automatically restarting when power returns.  Thanks to all for input that helped me solve this.

HP Recommended

Hey guys if the Firmware update did work does anyone have a link to its download, I cannot seem to find the appropriate Firmware upgrade.

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.