Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite HPE-170T
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My desktop is a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-170T.  I just recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  I have two  HP optical dirives, one is a burner and the other is just a DVD ROM.  Both have always worked perfectly with Windows 7.  After installing Windows 10 the burner continues to work fine functioning properly with autoplay.  However, the DVD ROM, HP DH16D5S, would not immediately start using autoplay.  In fact the drive wasn't even recognized as a drive when viewing  the drives in file explorer.  Eventually it would appear, sometimes taking as long as 5 minutes or more before doing so,  and then would function okay.  I tried different types of media, including music CD, video DVD, and software DVD with the same results.  I assumed that there was a problem with the drive, possibly a bad capacitor, etc., which was causing it to not start properly.  So, I ordered a new DH160D5S, but that appears to have been a waste of time and money, because it does exactly the same thing as the original.  I even switched the cables around between it and the burner, but it made no difference.  The burner still works fine but not the DVD ROM.  I have tried to find a newer driver for it but have had no luck.  I did find on a Dell website a firmware upgrade for this drive which was for  Windows Vista, and Windows 7, but not for Windows 10.  I went ahead and downloaded it, but when I tried to run it, I got the message:  "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update.  Update has been cancelled."

I would like to try another brand of DVD ROM, but would have to buy one without knowing if that would help.

Any help will be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Since I posted this message I have found out that there is a driver issue with this DVD ROM.  There is no driver available as yet to make the drive compatible with Windows 10.  I have since returned the drive and replaced it with another brand that is compatible with Windows 10.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Since I posted this message I have found out that there is a driver issue with this DVD ROM.  There is no driver available as yet to make the drive compatible with Windows 10.  I have since returned the drive and replaced it with another brand that is compatible with Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Which brand did you get that is compatible with windows 10?

Thanks,

HP Recommended

I do know the ASUS DVD-E818AAT  ROM drive works with an upgraded WIN 7 to WIN 10.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I bought an LG and had no problem with it. 

I have since learned more about hardware compatability with Windows 10.  A Windows tech told me to try drivers for Windows 8.1.  He said that many times they will work with Windows 10.  I have since done that successfully on a couple of items.  It was too late for me to try that for the HP DH16D5S DVD ROM drive, because I had already replaced it.  However, it might be something you want to check into before buying another DVD ROM.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.