Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite e9107c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have purchased a new graphics card. I downloaded the new driver to my computer with the old graphics card in place. After installing the new card, i have no computer screen image (black screen). Some forums suggested updating my BIOS. I have an IPIEL-LA3 motherboard with the American Megatrend 5.03 4/28/2009 BIOS. I tried downloading a newer version but can only access the file through HP Support if I say I am using Vista operating system, and then it won't let me update to the 5.05 version saying "Your system does not meet the minimum requiements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9998)" I believe my system originally had Vista. Soon after buying it,  I switched to Win7 and more recently to Win10. The graphics card I am trying to install is a 1024 MB DDR3 GeForce 8400 GS. Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

One more thing to try:

Many desktop motherboards have a built-in graphics interface, less powerful than most graphics boards.  The startup procedure is likely to allow some startup options before the point where you tell it to start Windows.  Look on the back of the computer to see if you have a cover over a second graphics interface.  If so, remove that cover, then while using your current card,  explore the available options to see if you can find one for a builtin video or graphics interface.  If you find such an option, set it to enabled without changing any other options, then close down the options  program while telling it to save changes.  Shut down the computer, move the graphics cable to the builtin connector, install the new card in place of the old one, and start the computer.  If it complains about startup options, wait at least half an hour before deciding to do anything else.  Once it allows you to log in, try to install the driver and see if it recognizes the presence of the card.  If it installs, restart and go back into the startup options and set the builtin graphics to disabled.  Restart the computer and see if it now allows you to use the new card.

In case your current card and the new one are not compatible with the same driver but both have Nvidia GPUs, you may need to find a driver compatible with both of them, install that driver, then with the new card and that driver, finally install the newer driver.

Another try at the drivers link, without the failed highlighting this time, so you may need to copy it into your browser:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Try the manual method for finding the driver, giving it the card type, the Windows version you plan to use it under, and the language you prefer for any messages.

If your current card no longer works, you could also try moving the graphics cable to the builtin interface after removing the current card, and see if the startup procedure recogizes that the current card is no longer present and it needs to switch to whatever graphics interface it can find.

Something I hope you don't need:  You could inspect the motherboard to find its brand and model number, then do a Google search for that model number.  I've seen one computer where this found that its model of motherboard had quite a few problems even booting with newer graphics cards.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Some of the drivers listed on the HP site will only run on the Windows version it states.    Assuming THIS IS THE ONE that complains, it appears to have that stipulation.  There might be a way to run the update from DOS but IMHO that is not going to help with this graphics card, so I will not elaborated on that.

This might seem insulting but don't be, - did you move the monitor connection to the new card?  That is an old school card, but it should work with these older systems, too.  Also, is this the driver that was run?   http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/89883/en-us

There probably was no GeForce driver installed prior to this, so did it complain about the card on first start?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Nvidia has stopped making its most recent drivers support either Windows Vista or some of the older graphics cards. See here for how to identify and download the older drivers that do support them:

NVIDIA Driver Downloads

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response, and no insult taken. Yes i connected the monitor to the new graphics card. As far as the second part of your question, both times I downloaded the driver (from the provided disc and from the internet) it would not install. It said it could not find supported hardware. That's because the old card was in at the time... and I can't install with the new card because I have no screen.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestion. The embedded link in your reply goes nowhere so I can't follow up on your suggestion.

HP Recommended

Reply follow-on. I downloaded the linked driver: 341.81 Win 10 64 bit. When it did a compatability check after downloading it stops with the error message: NVIDIA installer can not continue. The graphics drive could not find compatible graphics hardware.

HP Recommended

Well the 1024 MB DDR3 GeForce 8400 GS is pretty old anyways.  I would suggest removing the 1024 MB DDR3 GeForce 8400 GS and go back to the original ATI Radeon HD4350, which is a slightly better card.  If the original card has failed, the Radeon HD 5450 is a choice which  I found in another user board, not HP's.  Was there a reason for installing the 8400 GS?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

One more thing to try:

Many desktop motherboards have a built-in graphics interface, less powerful than most graphics boards.  The startup procedure is likely to allow some startup options before the point where you tell it to start Windows.  Look on the back of the computer to see if you have a cover over a second graphics interface.  If so, remove that cover, then while using your current card,  explore the available options to see if you can find one for a builtin video or graphics interface.  If you find such an option, set it to enabled without changing any other options, then close down the options  program while telling it to save changes.  Shut down the computer, move the graphics cable to the builtin connector, install the new card in place of the old one, and start the computer.  If it complains about startup options, wait at least half an hour before deciding to do anything else.  Once it allows you to log in, try to install the driver and see if it recognizes the presence of the card.  If it installs, restart and go back into the startup options and set the builtin graphics to disabled.  Restart the computer and see if it now allows you to use the new card.

In case your current card and the new one are not compatible with the same driver but both have Nvidia GPUs, you may need to find a driver compatible with both of them, install that driver, then with the new card and that driver, finally install the newer driver.

Another try at the drivers link, without the failed highlighting this time, so you may need to copy it into your browser:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Try the manual method for finding the driver, giving it the card type, the Windows version you plan to use it under, and the language you prefer for any messages.

If your current card no longer works, you could also try moving the graphics cable to the builtin interface after removing the current card, and see if the startup procedure recogizes that the current card is no longer present and it needs to switch to whatever graphics interface it can find.

Something I hope you don't need:  You could inspect the motherboard to find its brand and model number, then do a Google search for that model number.  I've seen one computer where this found that its model of motherboard had quite a few problems even booting with newer graphics cards.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. My current card is overheating because the fan is failing. I tried to lubricate it. Geek Squad and I couldn't find a way to do so. Thus I am trying to replace it.

HP Recommended

That certainly explains it, then.  While do not know why you are having trouble with the 8400 GS, IMHO, I would try a direct replacement or go with the Radeon HD 5450.  It seems to be an inexpensive choice.  And this does not need a fan!!

See here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150565

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.