Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP h8-1280t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm using an HP h8-1210, Intel i7 @ 3.62ghz, 8gb mem,, 1tb hdd, Win 7.

For some reason my computer will not read SD cards. I've uninstalled the drive, ran Check for changes, it will say it has loaded, then I get the alert, it failed.

I've went on-line and downloaded the same drive, it installs and almost immediately I get the window saying Device driver was not

installed successfully (see atch).

What do I have to do to get the driver to recognize/read my SD cards?

Everything I've tried, including restoring to an earlier time, running MS Mr. Fix It doesn't help. I never had this problem before.

Any suggestions appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The addition of the secondary SD to USB adapter will give you a means to test the SD card with a newer product reader.  The installed SD reader is a USB device.  You did not define the SD card, (SD, SDHC, SDXC etc).  Some older readers do not accept high capacity cards.  The problem with the reader could be a defect, such as a worn or damaged contact. 

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

You will need to get the USB driver from the Alcor manufacturer since you are using Windows 7.

If you can't get the Alcor device driver to install then the hardware is probably bad.  Be sure to remove any SD cards before attempting to install the device driver.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response.

I sent an email to the Alcor mfr. Awaiting a reply from them

In the meantime, if you will excuse my ignorance, is there any simple way to determine if the problem is software or hardware?

I've found websites that has driver software downloads but have catches to all of them and aren't free.

Thanks

HP Recommended

You can purchase a SD/USB 3.0 adapter.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you wb2001 for your response.

Yes, I'm aware of that option and the next time I'm "in town (25 miles away) I'll be stopping and buying one.

However, that doesn't answer/solve my question as to why, all of a sudden, the reader stopped working.

Again, thanks for the suggestion.

HP Recommended

The addition of the secondary SD to USB adapter will give you a means to test the SD card with a newer product reader.  The installed SD reader is a USB device.  You did not define the SD card, (SD, SDHC, SDXC etc).  Some older readers do not accept high capacity cards.  The problem with the reader could be a defect, such as a worn or damaged contact. 

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Thank you wb2001 for your latest post.

I apologize for not clarifiying what type of SD card used. It is a 2.0GB SD memory card (please see the pic I added. Sorry for lousy quality. Crappy MS video camera).

I know the card is good as I'm able to take pictures using it on my Fuji Fine Pix camera and I can view the photos in the camera or when I insert the card in both of my printers.

I've used this card before and never had a problem when I inserted it into my card reader slot until the time before I made this posting. I tried at least 3 restores to earlier tmes when I knew  it worked and no help. I've tried the update link shown in the Device Manager and it always says it is up to date. I've sent 2 emails to the Alcor mfr and the US Hqs and no response from either one. I've tried downloading the driver but refuse to agree to the add-ons that always come with it.

I guess I have to assume the problem is hardware and forget about trying to get it to the useable state again.

Again, thanks for your continued interest and suggestions.2016-04-19 12-48-24.446.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.