Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Desktop Model p6140f, Product Number NP192AA-ABA, Software Build 93NAv6PrA2, Serial Number MXU9340DV9; Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (64-bit), Service Pack 2, Build Number 6002, Direct X Version 10; Hard Drive: WDC WD10 EADS-65L5B1.

When running the PC Doctor Hardware Diagnostic Tool the SMART Short Self Test indicates the test failed for the "D:" partion test of the hardrive.  Error message: "The read element of the test failed."  Shows error code HD521-2W.  All other tests passed on the full system hardware diagnostic tests.  Should I worry?  Is there a fix?  Thanks for any HP expert response to my issue.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Please refer the following weblink that explains details about this issue:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph05701

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

what is this do i have to replase the hard drive

HP Recommended

Yes...this error indicate that the hard drive might  fail. Back up your data before it is lost. Please get the hard drive replaced. If the system is in warranty, please contact HP support for immediate replacement.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

I have read the info on this error code.  only one problem I do not  know how to back up my hard drive.  My computer will not boot up. It just keeps going to the screen to open in safe mode or last known way to open. 

HP Recommended

WHERE DO I DOWNLOAD A FIX FOR ERROR CODE HD521-2W.

I'M USING VISTA OPS

HP Recommended

Hello Fishmaine1,

If your computer will not boot up then there isn't really a backup that you are going to be able to do. You can try hooking the driver up to another computer as a slave drive to see if you can access it to copy any critical files off of the device, but you are likely not going to be able to do this, but the only thing you have to lose is your time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
HP Recommended

Hello N1ETV,

There is not a fix you can download. The fix is a new hard drive. The hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
HP Recommended
After getting the "HD521-2W" message, I followed your HP's suggestion, went out and bought 2 new hard drives. One is Western Digital and the other is Seagate. I have replaced the original hard drive that came with my HP Pavilion 150f with one of these new hard drives. I inserted the 3 recovery disk I had made when I first bought this computer. The install seemed to go well but everytime it tries to reboot, I get the same error message. "Windows could not compete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation". I've re-installed 2 - 3 times trying both new drives seperatly and I keep getting the same message. I'm caught in this never ending loop that doesn't get me anywhere. I have contacted HP and they want to sell me a copy of the 3 recovery disk I already have. If I reinstall the old hard drive, I can do the recovery from the 3 disk I have but I still get the "HD521-2W" error. What is the problem? Why am I getting this message? Is it the structure of the new drives that is preventing the installation from the recovery disk? How can I fix it?
HP Recommended
After getting the "HD521-2W" message, I followed your (HP's) suggestion, went out and bought 2 new hard drives. One is Western Digital and the other is Seagate. I have replaced the original hard drive that came with my HP Pavilion 150f with one of these new hard drives. I inserted the 3 recovery disk I had made when I first bought this computer. The install seemed to go well but everytime it tries to reboot, I get the same error message. "Windows could not compete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation". I've re-installed 2 - 3 times trying both new drives seperatly and I keep getting the same message. I'm caught in this never ending loop that doesn't get me anywhere. I have contacted HP and they want to sell me a copy of the 3 recovery disk I already have. If I reinstall the old hard drive, I can do the recovery from the 3 disk but I still get the "HD521-2W" error. What is the problem? Why am I getting this message ("Windows could not compete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation") with the new drives? Is it the structure of the new drives that is preventing the installation from the recovery disk? How can I fix it?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.