Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Please mark your question as solved by clicking "accept as solution" button below if it works for you so others can find it. Kudos are nice too 🙂

Problem:

Are you getting alternate characters instead of the standard QWERTY keyboard character expected such as below?

• é or É instead of the / or ?
  • À instead of \

Cause:

You are accidentally hitting a combination of keys that toggles between the standard characters and the alternate characters seen on the keys of your keyboard.

• Solution:

The same combination of keys will toggle back and forth:

• turn on alternate key/character: Press and hold left ctrl+shift and then tap right shift key once
    • turn off alternate key/character: Press  and hold left ctrl+shift and then tap right shift key twice

***NOTE: Sometimes does not turn off on first try, not sure why...  if this happens repeat the "turn off" step couple times or until it works and it will eventually turn off

I see many people are having this problem and not even the HP employees know the solution indicating possible problem with keyboard!! I couldn't find the answer to the is problem for my keyboard anywhere.

Don't forget to click "accept as solution" button below if this works

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I hit a combination of keys with my left pinky while typing quickly and now when I use my shift key on certain keys, I access characters that I do not usually use and that I dont want to use.  For instance, I can no longer put an apostrophy between don and t for the word dont.  This is what I get   donèt  .  I do this once every couple of years and I cannot remember what the sequence of keys is to stop it!!  When I find the answer I will hopefully be able to find this message and answer myself so I dont forget again.  I am using an HP Pavilion G Series Laptop.

HP Recommended

No, this does not work to remedy my problem.

HP Recommended

OK: for me, on my HP Pavilion G Series Laptop, if I hit the control button with my left hand and the shift key on the right side, this changes between the sets of characters that I am having trouble with.  So, if I hit the control button and shift key both on the left hand side of the keyboard nothing unruly happens; it only changes character sets on my laptop if I hit the control button (which is only on the left hand, bottom of my keyboard) and the shift key that is on the right side of my keyboard at the same time.  Hope this helps someone else with my problem.

HP Recommended

Genius...pure Genius; and quickest, 'made-to-measure' assistance. TY, TY, TY.

HP Recommended

Thanks!

This left [shift]+left [ctrl] + tap on right [shift] is just an awesome trick!

I once — back in the day — accidentally activated this "hidden" mode, but I never again managed to get there again. Now I remembered this thing; that there actually was some sort of a short cut to special characters such as š and ž that I quite commonly need. I have a really good memory (and I'm a bit of a "nerd" as well...), so I have memorized a huge collection of all sorts of useful UNICODE characters that you need frequently.

But, here they are, from A–Z: â € ŧ ï õ á š đ ǥ ǧ ȟ ǩ ø æ ž č ǯ ʒ ŋ µ — hopefully people find this useful link!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.