Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

My model: HP Envy 750-427c Desktop PC.

I swapped the original HP motherboard for a MSI B150M Mortar mATX motherboard because:

• Has Windows 10 64-bit license attached it from my previous PC
  • Has 2x USB 2.0 and 4x USB 3.0 ports on the rear I/O
  • Has 6x SATA 6 GB/s ports
  • Reuse the Intel WiFi card
  • Have one pci expansion slot open between my Soundblaster Recon 3D PCI-E x1 sound card and my dual slot Zotac GTX 960 4GB would have some breathing room

The HP motherboard works fine except it has:

• Has 2x USB 2.0 and 2x USB 3.0 ports on the rear I/O
  • 3 SATA ports
  • My sound card and graphics card are too close to each other, so it causes some kind of interference and the graphics card overheats to little over 90C

My top panel 2x USB 3.0, 1x USB C-type, and 1x Memory card reader will work fine with the HP motherboard.

When I tried to plug only 2x USB 3.0 and Memory card reader into my MSI B150M Mortar motherboard, it didn't work. Since this motherboard only has 1x USB 3.0 internal header and 1x USB 3.0 internal header. I tried plugging the USB 3.0 with a USB 2.0 adapter and USB C-type to the USB 3.0 internal header, and it still didn't work. I tried only 2x USB 3.0 to internal header, and it didn't work either.

My guess here is the HP case's top or front panel USB 3.0 ports require something in the BIOS to recognize it or it will not work at all. 

• In your scenario, you're reusing your HP motherboard in a Corsair Air 240 case, the HP BIOS does not recognize your standardize Corsair case's USB 3.0 ports.
  • In my scenario, my MSI B150M Mortar motherboard does not recognize the proprietary HP case's top panel USB 3.0 ports. I have tried every possible solution out there and none of them work.

Your solutions:

1. Replace your motherboard with something else and make sure it's compatible with your CPU.
  2. Add a PCI-Express USB 3.0 add-on card and plug in your USB 3.0 internal cable to the add-on card.
  3. Go back to your HP case.

My thoughts for those who are using the stock HP case with a different brand motherboard:

• I was considering purchasing "Silverstone PCI Express Card with Dual Internal 19pin USB 3.0 Connectors Model ECU01" until I came accross this thread. I am not going to buy this because I don't think it will work in my HP case + MSI motherboard. I just thought I had to plug all three connectors into the motherboard in order to for them to work.
  • Since my HP case does not have any 5.25" optical disk drive bays, I am just going to add a USB 3.0 PCI-Express card and run an extention cable to the top of my case.
  • The top panel USB 3.0, USB-C, and Memory card port cannot be swap out for a different kind because the top glossy black cover port holes will not match whatever replacement you use.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

The title of this thread is a bit confusing as it indicates that the top USB ports are not working in a new case. However, after reading your posted information it seems that one or more USB 3.0 top ports are not working in the original HP case when you changed motherboards.

I suggest that you test both USB 3 headers on your new motherboard with a USB 3 header tester to make sure that they are indeed working correctly.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

See: https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B150M-MORTAR.html

There are four USB 3 ports on the I/O panel, and two internal USB 3 headers.

Download and install the latest BIOS (28-December-2016).

Download and install the latest "chipset" device-drivers.

If you are installing Windows 7, note that it does not have support for USB 3.

Hence, the need for the above "chipset" device-drivers.

HP Recommended

@mdklassen

The OP is using Windows 10 which has native USB 3 drivers.  The BIOS updates don't show any reference to USB 3 port issues.

Once the motherboard becomes non-HP the OP loses all official HP support.

Still, the OP needs to determine if the issues are mobo related or case related. Divide and conquer.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Original HP motherboards and enclosures have their own distribution of some contacts. if you connected motherbord  ASUS to HP usb3.0 front panel you get result on picture. Buy original HP front panel in China and insert in your new Case, if you use new motherboard in HP case buy a simple remote bar (20-1 pin  to USB 3.0  front panel connector) in the nearest store and  insert in HP case.MB_USBе30.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.