Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 750-287c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been trying to install a NVIDIA graphics card, but the computer has been unable to use the graphics card. All it does is give me a black screen. But when I plug it into the integrated software, it works just fine. Do I have to do something in the BIOS or what?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

Your PC by HP may be unable to use other graphics cards.

I had this happen to me with an HP PC made in 2012.

My 2012 PC had HP card made by AMD but could not update drivers from AMD.

I tried to install a different graphics card that was compatible and the HP PC would not boot with video.

Could not correct and no solution found. This may be your situation.

Grzy

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@SethHartman wrote:

I have been trying to install a NVIDIA graphics card, but the computer has been unable to use the graphics card. ....

Hi,

From the following link, it only has Integrated Intel HD Graphics:

http://support.hp.com/lt-en/product/hp-envy-750-200-desktop-pc-series/9259609/document/c05158267/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello

Your PC's motherboard has one PCIe x16 slot for the Nvidia graphics card.

But you have to go to BIOS before you add card and disable Secure Boot and then enable Legacy Boot.

Reboot the PC and enter four digit confirm. Then shut down and add card.

Windows 10 should install new Nvidia driver at reboot with new card in. If no then uninstall old graphics driver before add new Nvidia.

Grzy

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz wrote:

Hello

Your PC's motherboard has one PCIe x16 slot for the Nvidia graphics card.

But you have to go to BIOS before you add card and disable Secure Boot and then enable Legacy Boot.

Reboot the PC and enter four digit confirm. Then shut down and add card.

Windows 10 should install new Nvidia driver at reboot with new card in. If no then uninstall old graphics driver before add new Nvidia.

Grzy

I couldn't get the computer to even use the graphics card, I did everything you told me to do. It even gave me an option to disable integrated graphics, but it didn't even work. So now i returned it the way it was.

HP Recommended

Hello

If you are installing an Nvidia card that requires more power exceeding the power supply HP installed in your PC you will have bad experience.

You have 300 watt power supply. Most Nvidia cards require 400 watt or more and need a 6 pin or combo 6+8 pin PCIe connection.

Grzy

HP Recommended

I have replaced the power supply, its 500 watt now.

HP Recommended

Hello

Something else is causing failure.

Did you uninstall original graphics drivers?

It should work.

I have upgraded to new graphics card on HP PC's when card is UEFI, power supply is good, and connections are correct.

Maybe new graphics card is bad. 

Have you made all connections? Six or eight pin PCIe connection?

What new graphics card are you using?

No need to change BIOS. It will detect new card.

Are you plugging cable in correct HDMI or DVI port on PC?

Grzy

HP Recommended

I have uninstalled graphics drivers, I have put put in properly, and I have used it in a previous computer. 

HP Recommended

Hello

Your PC by HP may be unable to use other graphics cards.

I had this happen to me with an HP PC made in 2012.

My 2012 PC had HP card made by AMD but could not update drivers from AMD.

I tried to install a different graphics card that was compatible and the HP PC would not boot with video.

Could not correct and no solution found. This may be your situation.

Grzy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.