Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750-229
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I clone the orginal factory installed HD to a Crucial 275gb SSD, use the SSD as primary drive and keep the original HD as secondary drive?  My Envy 750-229 is brand new and no other program except Norton IS is installed . I would be grateful if instructions of the cloning and installation are advised.

Thanks  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

1. How to shrink C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJiakVgAtn4

2.  You can clone 😧 but this won't work after replacing the primary HDD that why we need 1TB. As mentioned before, you can create Recovery set (DVD's or USB). In your case, 275GB is simply too small and system will abort.

3. Use the original HD as secondary drive : No problem at all, after getting system with SSD working order. You can do what ever you like with the old HDD.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Which software do you use to clone ? Depending on which software, you may need same size (capacity) or larger. Currently your machine has 1TB, you may need 1TB SSD, otherwise too small and the cloning process will abort.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi

I would like to clone the whole original factory installed softwares in HD. It is less than 275gb. Then I intend to use

the SSD as primaray dive, clear and format the oringal HD to be used as secondary drive.  Will it work?

Thanks for your advice.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Before doing anything, you need to create Recovery USB (or DVD's) and keep is a safe place. Again, depending on the software. My suggestion: shrink C: down to 275GB (why Crucial has this odd number) then clone C: only. 

Please note: Recovery drive and Recovery process won't work with SSD which is smaller than 1TB.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Hi

Can you tell me how to shrink C : down to 275GB ? How about the Factory Image (D) and System  partitions in the HD?

Can I clone them to the SSD too?  Can I creat another Recovery USB from SSD after successful cloning ?

I intend to use the original HD as secondary drive after formating.

Thanks for your advice.

HP Recommended

Hi,

1. How to shrink C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJiakVgAtn4

2.  You can clone 😧 but this won't work after replacing the primary HDD that why we need 1TB. As mentioned before, you can create Recovery set (DVD's or USB). In your case, 275GB is simply too small and system will abort.

3. Use the original HD as secondary drive : No problem at all, after getting system with SSD working order. You can do what ever you like with the old HDD.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.