Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Slimline s5510f
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hey Guys and Gals,

I would like to upgrade my ram to the max, as well as swap out my processor for a faster configuration but that would come later. According to the HP Help site these are my ram constrictions (with the first two lines being my current configuration):

3 GB
Amount: 3 GB
Speed: PC2-6400 MB/sec
Memory upgrade information
Dual channel memory architecture
Two DDR2 DIMM (240-pin) sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
*32-bit operating systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

Now my question is whether I'm limited to 4GBs in total ram since the third line from the bottom says it supports 2GB DDRs DIMMs or can I push above ( and if so what is the max) that since my computer is running a 64-bit operating system. My motherboard is the one that follows:

M2N68-LA (Narra5)

Manufacturer: Pegatron
Form factor: microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2
Front side bus speeds: 2000MT/s (2.0 GT/s)
Processor socket: AM2+
Expansion Slots:
1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
2 PCI Express x1 slots
1 PCI slot

I was hoping to make my PC as smooth as possible to be able to run the Android Developer Software, which asks for the following things:

Microsoft® Windows® 7/8/10 (32- or 64-bit)
3 GB RAM minimum, 8 GB RAM recommended; plus 1 GB for the Android Emulator
2 GB of available disk space minimum,
4 GB Recommended (500 MB for IDE + 1.5 GB for Android SDK and emulator system image)
1280 x 800 minimum screen resolution
For accelerated emulator: Intel® processor with support for Intel® VT-x, Intel® EM64T (Intel® 64), and Execute Disable (XD) Bit functionality

Please and thank you for all your help! As a college student I'll really appreaciate it!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DARKKNIGHTAKABA

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm afraid having a 64bit Operating system is different from having a CPU with 64bit support,

For details, you may read the below information:

A big difference between 32-bit processors and 64-bit processors is the number of calculations per second they can perform, which affects the speed at which they can complete tasks. 64-bit processors can come in dual core, quad core, six core, and eight core versions for home computing. Multiple cores allow for an increased number of calculations per second that can be performed, which can increase the processing power and help make a computer run faster. Software programs that require many calculations to function smoothly can operate faster and more efficiently on the multi-core 64-bit processors, for the most part.

Another big difference between 32-bit processors and 64-bit processors is the maximum amount of memory (RAM) that is supported. 32-bit computers support a maximum of 3-4GB of memory, whereas a 64-bit computer can support memory amounts over 4 GB.

This feature is important for software programs used in graphic design, engineering, and video editing as these programs have to perform many calculations to render their images.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DARKKNIGHTAKABA

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you want to upgrade your computer to become an android developer (congratulations on that) 😉

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you know that the recommended requirements ensure fluent usage of your applications? that said, I'm afraid this computer doesn't support the requirements.

According to your product specifications, it only supports 4GB on your 32bit motherboard configuration.

I'm afraid you may need to upgrade the motherboard or get a new HP computer as replacing or upgrading motherboard isn't supported by HP

Keep me posted, 

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers! 

Good Luck. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher ,

Thank you for answering so soon! I understand your point but my computer is running the 64-bit Operating System which is why I ask. The Control Panel under the View basic information about your computer tab shows that I'm running the 64-bit version compared to the 32-bit system which the help site lists. Please and thank you !

HP Recommended

@DARKKNIGHTAKABA

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm afraid having a 64bit Operating system is different from having a CPU with 64bit support,

For details, you may read the below information:

A big difference between 32-bit processors and 64-bit processors is the number of calculations per second they can perform, which affects the speed at which they can complete tasks. 64-bit processors can come in dual core, quad core, six core, and eight core versions for home computing. Multiple cores allow for an increased number of calculations per second that can be performed, which can increase the processing power and help make a computer run faster. Software programs that require many calculations to function smoothly can operate faster and more efficiently on the multi-core 64-bit processors, for the most part.

Another big difference between 32-bit processors and 64-bit processors is the maximum amount of memory (RAM) that is supported. 32-bit computers support a maximum of 3-4GB of memory, whereas a 64-bit computer can support memory amounts over 4 GB.

This feature is important for software programs used in graphic design, engineering, and video editing as these programs have to perform many calculations to render their images.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.