Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

some new developments..  I got 3 of the sticks to work together.. kinda.. 

I had a Hynix stick on 1 and 2 and a factory one on 3. Bios recognized it, windows tried to startup. Shortly before/after/during the Windows loading screen I get a really, I mean -really-, fast BSOD and an immediate reboot. Can't see the BSOD long enough to provide any info on it and printscreen/pausebreak doesnt effect it.  So I tried swapping out the card on slot 2 with the other factory card. Making it S1:Hynix, S2: Factory, S3:Factory, S4:Empty. 

It started doing the freeze on post thing again.  I took out the factory on S2 and put it on S4, It got one more line than the previous attempts at post. As in, it saw the memory, it "Tested OK" after counting it up, it told me what type it was, then it did the freeze thing. I took it out. I now have S1: Hynix, S2: Empty, S3: Factory, S4:Empty. Everything is running as it should..  But back to square one.

I don't have the funds to do a complete, new, upgrade otherwise I would just do so and forget this problem.. If I order from crucial I can RMA and re-order all day till it works, lol.. Im hoping its not the motherboard as I dont want to replace it. If thats the case Ill just custom build my own PC from scratch(again.. for the millionith time). I really want this to work itself out. This sort of thing is why I don't do prebuild "name-brand" PC's.

HP Recommended
hi..  i have hp a1120in desktop... it has 256mb ddr ram... i want to upgrade it to 2gb....  since ddr ram cost more, i want to know tat does my comp support ddr2 ram?
HP Recommended

@amrut

The short answer is, No. You cannot use DDR2 memory on your desktop as it only supports DDR memory.

"Memory Installed 256 MB (1 x 256)

Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1GB) requires the replacement of the installed 256 MB DIMM
*Actual available memory may be less

Speed supported PC3200 MB/sec Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM

DIMM slots Four

Open DIMM slots Three"

DDR uses frequencies 266/333/400 MHz

DDR2 uses  533/600 MHz frequencies

DDR2 is 240 pin and DDR is 184 pin

The notch on DDR2 DIMMs is in a different position than DDR DIMMs, and the pin density is slightly higher than DDR DIMMs.

The voltages they use are also different.

HP Recommended
Hello Amrut...
     According to HP's Product Specifications, your mobo runs DDR2 only.  Frankly, I'm surprised anything works with only 256MB of RAM!
The specs call for a maximum of 1GB per slot for a total of 4GB, running DDR2-400 or 533Mhz sticks.  The mobo is also made to work with
dual channel memory, which means matched sets of two memory sticks.  So your choices are 4- 512MB sticks or 2- 1GB sticks of DDR2-533.
Why run 400, when 533 is faster and the same price?
     You'll find your mobo/memory/BIOS and other specs at:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00361570.
HP Recommended
Hello Amrut..
    I forgot to mention you may need to boot into your BIOS (before Windows loads) and double check the memory settings.  If you're only running one
stick iof memory, the BIOS may not be set for dual channel!   which could also be the source of problems, if you can't get multiple sticks to work right!
    Also, make doubly sure your memory is fully seated into the slots.  I made that mistake and wondered why the PC wouldn't boot!  Rechecking all the
connections disclosed "loose" memoiry. After reseating everything, the PC booted right up!
HP Recommended

Drastiq,

You might have a contaminate messing with you? I'd clean out the slots and wipe down the contact on the dimms with cleaning alcohol. The most plausible config, based on your motherboard layout and the colors of the slots, I would put the two originals in 1 and 2, hynix in slots 3 and 4.

I

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

I have a presario SR5450F. Can I replace 1  - 1g stick of ram with a 2g or do I need to repalce both with 2g sticks.

Thanks for the help

HP Recommended

Roberti...
    According to HP's spec page, your mobo has two DDR2 slots, each of which can support up to 2Gb of memory.  Since
you probahbly want to run dual channel memory (to take advantage of your proc), you need to use identifical DIMMs in each
slot... 512MB, or 1GB, or 2GB sticks.  The mobo supports a maximum of 4GB of memory.  Your choices range from 553Mhz
to 800Mhz or PC2-6400.  Get the fastest and best memoiry you can afford!

HP Recommended

Hello all, to begin with I AM TOTALLY COMPUTER HARDWARE ILLITERATE!!!!  I have an

HP MEDIA CENTER PC M7267C os- XP

820 INTEL PENTIUM D PROCESSOR

1 GB MMORY

300GB HARD DRIVE

I noticed that after 3 yrs it was slow in its actions, my hard drive was almost full with pics,videos,etc., so i purchased the HP MEDIA HARD DRIVE that slides into the slot assuming that anything that "runs over will spill into" the new media drive?! that didnt work, Can that be done? Use the removable HP MEDIA HARD DRIVE as the new hard drive for my system? if not how can i just move everything over to the new hard drive?

After doing a little homework i realized that it was my memory that was working too hard with the little it has, so i found two memory sticks on sale for 24 bucks & was off to my weekend project.

1st I have been takin notes from the sidelines for a while now & appriciate all the messages, it has helped me in installing two 1gb ddr2 pc2-5300 667mhz kingston value ram (model# kvrr667d2/1gr);the packaging says its comaptible with 667mhz (pc2-5300),533mhz( pc2-4200), & 400mhz (pc2-3200) so i figured i had all my bases covered, and began the weekend project of addin it to my desktop, sorry for the info overload but iam wanting to get it right.

After a little trouble finding the slots all fit into place & noticed a big difference off course,the slots where 2&4 if iam not mistaken & @ first i was told it wouldnt work but at 12 bucks each i was determined to make it work. So what i want to know now is what do i need to do to tweek it to perfection? to MASTERBLASTER is this allowing me to use the dual mode? is there something else that i need to msconfig to get the maximum out of my system? I also decided to place the desktop in the computer cabinet and notice that its been running hot,, my question is first if its a good idea? Second can i take the side panels off & let it be naked? The cabinet is clean & i like the fact that its out of sight from kids & dog....one last thing does anyone know if it plays hd-dvds?

HP Recommended
What is duel channel mode?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.