Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Don't most BIOS's interrupt the boot sequence when memory config is changed? I haven't changed one recently but IIRC in the past no memory upgrade ever breezed through the boot process without some indication of the change...

Also, unless the documentation indicates that all modules must be identical (I think that was the case with my old RAMBUS Dell system) I would try a 4GB with one or both of the old 2GB's.  (I guess it strikes me as slightly odd for a typical user to go from 2x2GB to 4X4GB without a stop at 2X2GB + 2x4GB).

Also FWIW I have a 2011 HP h81160t that came with 2x4GB, and added 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance with no problem whatsoever (although I'm not sure if dual channel is working, or for that matter whether it was working before the upgrade)...

CC

HP Recommended

->Turkleton

When I changed my RAM inmy old PC it went straight through.  I had to actively check that the upgrade was successful.  I think that this most often the case but like you my experience is limited and could very well be less than yours.

I think you could try any combination of DIMMs you like, as long as they operated at the same voltage, that's a must else you risk damage.  You PC may not work with just any combination though.  Many people who call themselves experts say that it is not a good idea to mix different manufacturer's DIMMs.  You can often get away with mixing different speeds though you will be limited to a speed operation of the slowest, as long as your computer supports all those speeds.  In the example of the p6332it above Crucial guarantee that some of their DDR3-1600MHz DIMMs will work in that machine even though that speed is not mentioned in the HP specification.  All those things holding, you should be able to mix different module sizes.  I think that even with dual channel architectures.  Certainly if you use same speed matched pairs, the sizes in in each pair of slots does not have to be the same to have dual operation.  The reason for not mixing manufacturers DIMMs is that different manufacturers DIMMs have slightly different designs and tolerances and thus their eg timings might be slightly off wich on some m/bs is enough to cause dysfunction.  Because of such "interactions" between motherboards and RAM, some DIMMs will not work in some in some m/bs.  Even given what I have written above, mixing anything might cause the system not to work.

I think that the typical user is constrained mainly by budget.  I would go for an upgrade which was effective and has some future proofing built in; these days that often means going straight to the maximum amount of memory supported.  You might try every combination to find ones that work; 2x2GB + 1x4GB or  2x2GB + 2x4GB could preserve a degree of dual channel operation, and the latter is amenable to further upgrade to a 4x4GB system with  dual channel operation.

I'm unable to comment on your result with your h81160t - before the fact I would have said itmay or may not work if not in Corsairs recommended list.

Woodwood

4.Febraury.2014

HP Recommended
I knew the risk but the Black Friday "flash" sale was too good a deal not to take a chance...
HP Recommended
-> Turkleton
That's what I meant about 'budgetary constraints', 🙂 It may well be worth taking a chance if it is so cheap you have nothing to lose.
woodwood
5.February.2014
HP Recommended

@Woodwood wrote:

->nevervhoodo

Ok.  So you have a problem with just one hyper X, immdiately or shortly after Win 7 loads.  Does this happen with just the one DIMM in all the slots ?  (four tests needed)

Take one of the hyper X kits (2 matched  DIMMs), insert them into the black memory slots.  From what you have said I expect that you get a black screen.  No HP 'splash screen', no beeps.  No hard disk activity. Is this what happens ?  What about power light ? fans ? (they will tell us nothing except whether your mainboard is getting power - I suspect that it is).  Usually, a problem with memory is characterised by failure to pass the POST and making a definite number of beeps.  But this problem is more subtle than that

I fear that these tests will tell me nothing useful, and that Turkleton is right when he says that despite the nominal specs. your hyper X is not compatible with that model of PC/motherboard.  l  I can only refer you to Kingston who might be able to help

Woodwood

4.February.2014

Today i have made a lot of tests. First of all i enabled Boot-time Diagnostic Screen in my BIOS.

1. One  hyper X tests on all the slots. Result - blue screen. 

foto 2.JPG

And when I insert one  hyper X  in the first slot I see:

foto 3.JPG

3. With one Hyper X i can open the BIOS Setup utility

foto 1.JPG

4. Then i test 2x4GB (1 kit) in the black and blue memory slots. Result - no beeps, power light is switched on, fans work. And i can see this screen, but the keyboard does not work, so I can not open the BIOS Setup utility.

foto 4.JPG

HP Recommended

-> nevervhoodo

Thanks for the test results.

I am sorry I am out of suggestions and can help no further.  Just maybe someone else will look at these posts and be able to help.

Woodwood

5.Februaruary.2014

HP Recommended
Thanks for being their.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm new on this forum.

I write because I have problem upgrading my computer memory.

I have the HP Z200 Small Form Factor Workstation.
Exactly: Intel Core Processor i5-650 3.2 GHz, 4MB cache, 1333 MHz memory, Dual-Core, Turbo

I have bought Kingston memory KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G, just like these:
http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/Default.aspx?PartId=KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G

It isnt working.
I have tried updating BIOS and run different operating systems:
Windows XP starts and works normally;
Windows 7 isnt starting - freezes on splash screen;
Ubuntu 13.10 isnt starting.

I tried the Memtest+ also, ansd it seams the memory is ok.

Do you have any idea why it is not working properly on WIN7?

Thanks,

DZ

HP Recommended

Hi e1413561,

The HP Z200 is professional workstation. You might get better assistance on the HP Enterprise Business Forum.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hello!  I am trying to increase my RAM.  I currently have 4GB and want to go up to 8GB.  I am trying to make sure I get the right type of RAM though.  I have looked at the specs here on HP's website but I still have questions.  I know I need 240-pin DDR2 PC2-6400 but there are 240-pin DDR2 FB-DIMM and 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM available.  I have no idea which my computer needs as I see nothing about FB-DIMM or SDRAM in the specs.  Can anyone help?  Thanks in advance!  Here is the information from the HP site on my motherboard's RAM information:

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
  • Supported DIMM types:

• PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
  • PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
  • Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs
  • Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
*32-bit operating systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.