Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

TEPhillips,

The maximum "allowed" for the SR1300NX is 1 GB... this would be what HP recommends as the ceiling for the system. The motherboard is Kelut. And if you look at the specs... it lists 2 GB maximum (true for the component). http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00069442

Is it confusing - yes. But basically we're talking about power draw on the motherboard. If you start locking up when connecting USB devices or after installing a video card, then think about removing a PCI card, upgrading the power supply, etc...

gohkies,

Can't put 2GB in one slot and make it work (at least by what I am reading).

I'm not entirely sure what's going on... the  SR2172NX specification lists supported speed as PC2-4200 MB/sec. The motherboard is Alhena5 and lists several supported speeds - including your 667MHz Dimms. 

• Single-channel memory architecture
  • 2 x 240-pin DIMM sockets
  • Supports PC2-3200 (400 MHz), PC-4200 (533 MHz) and PC2-5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs
  • non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 2 GB
  •  

According to the product spec, the memory should work, but at the lower rate of PC2-4200 (according to product spec -not motherboard spec). It does not support dual channel mode so you will get no benefit from making them all the same size and manufacturer - other than increased compatibility. Is your new memory ECC?

According to the motherboard specs, you should get 2 GB @ PC2-5300 (667 MHz) minus what is used for your video card.

I don't see how you upgraded the BIOS as I do not see a BIOS upgrade available from the HP Web site. Did you install a BIOS update from another HP product or from the motherboard manufacturer? Another thing that is going to mess with your upgrade, if you are still using on-board video, is that the system automatically allocates RAM to the video system. You may want to throw in a video card (if you have a spare), just to see if that is waht is messing with you.

I also see that Crucial's memory locater service states that your PC supports dual-channel mode  - I don't think this is true. But the memory they offer should work - if you purchased it from them.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
    Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
    HP Recommended

RasterBlaster -

Thank you for your prompt response.  Comments/answers to your questions:  I purchased two memory modules 1) Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DIMM 128Mx64 DDR2PC2 - 5300 UNBUFF Non-ECC MODEL #CT12864AA667 purchased from Amazon.com, and 2) Kingston KVR667D2/1GR Value RAM - again PC2-5300 667 MHz non-ECC purchased from a local MicroCenter store.  Both seem to meet the specs from what I can tell.....

As I mentioned in my last post, both work fine alone in either slot but I can't get the computer to recognize both together or using one with the original 4200 memory.

I do have a GeForce 7600 with 512MB RAM video card.  I've tried running the computer with and without the extra memory module with the same results.

I did upgrade the BIOS based on the info at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3375623

It had version 5.14 of the BIOS (I was running 5.07 that came with the computer) - again with no different result.

Any other ideas?  I greatly appreciate your help.

HP Recommended

Raster,

I'm having exactly the same problem here, machine only recognizes one or the other RAM card not both.  I may try to call HP help desk support or chat to try to figure this out.  BIOS only shows one slot full.

HP Recommended

With (2) 1 GB RAM Sticks, I tried slot 1 Memory A then Memory B. 

Then slot 2 Memory A then Memory B with 4 restarts. 

All slots and RAM work correctly up to 1 GB RAM. 

Putting both 1 GB RAM sticks in slot 1 and slot 2 still only shows 1 GB RAM. 

Interestingly, 1/2 slots are not recognized at the BIOS Level.   Please help!  Need 2 GB RAM as Windows Vista is a dog with only 1 GB RAM

HP Recommended
    This one is a toughie... I've been racking my brain and researching the mobo vendor. I think, *think*, that the mobo is not fully supporting 667Hz. The only 1GB supported Dimms that I found (in qualified vendor lists) were 400 or 533 Hz.
    Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
    HP Recommended

Raster,

Thanks for your message.  I thought with my 2 slots 2 RAM test that if the mobo recognized RAM in a single configuration (1 slot populated with 1GB RAM and 1 slot empty)  that it would then recognize RAM in the double configuration. I bought RAM from Crucial.com, and it ran an auto-detect so hopefully I purchased the right RAM speed.

I would agree with your explanation if one of the 2 sticks *DID NOT* work.  However, they both work great in each of the 2 slots with no problems.

Anyone, anyone?

HP Recommended

Actually - we are saying the same thing. I am agreeing with you. I understand that 2 PC2-5300 @ 667 will only see  1 GB @ 4200 for your system configuration.

I found many released products in a 2 GB 4200 configuration. But only one model exists (that I have found) with 2 GB configuration with Alhena5 and PC2-5300 @ 667 (for Latin America). I am also asking around to try and get further clarification.

Do either of you have access to an extra 1 GB 4200 dimm to install it? I do not have an Alhena5 board (or a 1GB 4200 DIMM) laying around. I suspect 2 x 4200 will work.

HP Recommended

Raster,  Thanks for the analysis.  I don't have access to (1) 1GB 4200 stick here.

I could certainly go out and buy (1) or (2) 1 GB 4200, they are about $20 each on ebay. 

I will let you know if I'm able to do that.  Thanks. 

HP Recommended

Note crucial site:  http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/compatible-memory-for/HP+-+Compaq/Presario+SR2172NX/list.html 

Number of Slots:

Slot 1  
     Slot 2  

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

HP Recommended
    Crusial's site also states it supports dual-channel - I don't think that is true.
    Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.