Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion H8-1160T
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My AMD Radeon graphics card failed (1st screen blank, 2nd screen all vertical lines) and want to upgrade to a NVIDIA 900 series graphics card. 

If I'm understanding correctly, my motherboard is a legacy bios and cannot support video cards that require a UEFI bios (which would include the NVIDIA 9XX cards).

Based on the info below my first question would be...can my motherboard bios be reset/upgraded to a UEFI bios?

And secondly if not...what would be my best option for a NVIDIA card?  6XX series? (stream video and moderate game playing)

Thanks!

HP Pavilion CPE Series H8-1160T

MB IPISB-CH2 (Chicago) 16MB Ram

AMD Radeon HD6850 Graphics

Intel Core i7-2600 CPU@3.4GHZ

Delta 600W Power Supply

Purchased: 26 Nov 11

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@55LongShot, welcome to the forum.

@55LongShot wrote:

My AMD Radeon graphics card failed (1st screen blank, 2nd screen all vertical lines) and want to upgrade to a NVIDIA 900 series graphics card. 

If I'm understanding correctly, my motherboard is a legacy bios and cannot support video cards that require a UEFI bios (which would include the NVIDIA 9XX cards).

Based on the info below my first question would be...can my motherboard bios be reset/upgraded to a UEFI bios?  No, the motherboard can't be upgraded to UEFI.  This can only be done at the factory.

And secondly if not...what would be my best option for a NVIDIA card?  6XX series? (stream video and moderate game playing)  Yes, the last video cards not to require UEFI were the GTX 660/670's.  I suggest that you choose a card mamufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help.  MSI does have a GTX 750Ti that has a switch to allow it to be used with a Legacy BIOS.  You can check with them to see if will work with your motherboard.

Thanks!

Delta 600W Power Supply

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@55LongShot, welcome to the forum.

@55LongShot wrote:

Based on the info below my first question would be...can my motherboard bios be reset/upgraded to a UEFI bios?  No, the motherboard can't be upgraded to UEFI.  This can only be done at the factory.

And secondly if not...what would be my best option for a NVIDIA card?  6XX series? (stream video and moderate game playing)  Yes, the last video cards not to require UEFI were the GTX 660/670's.  I suggest that you choose a card mamufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help.  MSI does have a GTX 750Ti that has a switch to allow it to be used with a Legacy BIOS.  You can check with them to see if will work with your motherboard.

Thanks!

Delta 600W Power Supply

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks for heading me in the right direction.

Looks like the MSI N750TI TF 2GD5/OC would be just the ticket for my computer legacy bios.

This link explains exactly what I needed to know.

Have a great rest of your weekend!

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @55LongShot.  The link is very good.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.