Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-281eo
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello!

So I was wondering about upgrading my computer:

1. I was thinking of adding a 16GB ram kit, (Switching out my current single-channel samsung m378b1g73db0-ck0 for a 16 Gig kit of Ram). Would the Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600MHz kit be compatible with my system?

2. I also wondered if the Radeon RX470 could work on my 430W PSU (Given that it's reccomended PSU is 500W).  Also if it could fit/have enough clearance. Myu current GPU (The R9 270) is around 210mm long, and the RX470 i think is around the 240mm mark.

3.  The third thing is about the PSU. Which PSU should I buy (Im thinking dimensions given the Envy 700-281eo's size). Around 500-550W should do for now. Also will upgrading the PSU or any other parts void my warranty? Or is it only if I break something?

Thank you for taking your time to read this / answer it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Robert_B, welcome to the forum.

@Robert_B wrote:

Hello!

1. I was thinking of adding a 16GB ram kit, (Switching out my current single-channel samsung m378b1g73db0-ck0 for a 16 Gig kit of Ram). Would the Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600MHz kit be compatible with my system? 

Here is the memory that is fully tested for the motherboard:

Dual channel memory architecture
Four 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
Supports DDR3 DIMMs
PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB or 8 GB DIMMs
Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
 note:
32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
Supports up to 32 GB on 64-bit systems
 note:
Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

I suggest that you contact Corsair's Tech Support to determine if their memory will work with your motherboard.  They are the experts on their products.  High-end memory can be tempermental and there is no guaranty that it will work in every motherboard; especially since HP has their motherboards made to their specifications.

2. I also wondered if the Radeon RX470 could work on my 430W PSU (Given that it's reccomended PSU is 500W).  Also if it could fit/have enough clearance. Myu current GPU (The R9 270) is around 210mm long, and the RX470 i think is around the 240mm mark.  The best way to know if a video card will fit is, measure from the Back I/O plate to the front of the case where the card will be installed.  This will let you see if there is any components that will be in the way.

3.  The third thing is about the PSU. Which PSU should I buy (Im thinking dimensions given the Envy 700-281eo's size). Around 500-550W should do for now. Also will upgrading the PSU or any other parts void my warranty? Or is it only if I break something?  I always recommend upgrading the PSU to at least 100W more than the required wattage for a video card.  This gives you extra wattage for peak needs.  I like Corsair products.  Also, a modular PSU is good for a small case.  You only have to use the cables that are absolutely necessary.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Robert_B, welcome to the forum.

@Robert_B wrote:

Hello!

Here is the memory that is fully tested for the motherboard:

Dual channel memory architecture
Four 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
Supports DDR3 DIMMs
PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB or 8 GB DIMMs
Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
 note:
32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
Supports up to 32 GB on 64-bit systems
 note:
Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

I suggest that you contact Corsair's Tech Support to determine if their memory will work with your motherboard.  They are the experts on their products.  High-end memory can be tempermental and there is no guaranty that it will work in every motherboard; especially since HP has their motherboards made to their specifications.

2. I also wondered if the Radeon RX470 could work on my 430W PSU (Given that it's reccomended PSU is 500W).  Also if it could fit/have enough clearance. Myu current GPU (The R9 270) is around 210mm long, and the RX470 i think is around the 240mm mark.  The best way to know if a video card will fit is, measure from the Back I/O plate to the front of the case where the card will be installed.  This will let you see if there is any components that will be in the way.

3.  The third thing is about the PSU. Which PSU should I buy (Im thinking dimensions given the Envy 700-281eo's size). Around 500-550W should do for now. Also will upgrading the PSU or any other parts void my warranty? Or is it only if I break something?  I always recommend upgrading the PSU to at least 100W more than the required wattage for a video card.  This gives you extra wattage for peak needs.  I like Corsair products.  Also, a modular PSU is good for a small case.  You only have to use the cables that are absolutely necessary.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.