Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion H8-1017 cb
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm contemplating between installing a new video card and power supply to support a 43" UHD monitor or buy a brand new gaming computer with GTX 970.   What is the best video card compatible with my computer and motherboard to work with UHD?

Also, would I be wasting my time upgrading my current computer or saving a ton of money with great results?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You can upgrade to a powerful video card, but there will be a few things you need to know and do.

Your desktop PC's motherboard came from a generation before UEFI and only allows installation of video cards that support its legacy BIOS.  That means that you can only install a video card that has legacy BIOS support or a physical switch that allows the choice of UEFI\Legacy BIOS.  Otherwise a UEFI BIOS only video card will not be recognized as present by your motherboard's BIOS and the PC won't make it past the POST to boot up, not even to the BIOS.

You will need to install a high quality PSU (Corsair or another enthiusiast brand) that will supply at least 400-450 watts. The PSU mus also be delivered with 6\8-pin PCIe power  connectors for the video card. Check the system requirements for the candidate video cards you are looking at. 

Sapphire and MSI both make video cards that have a switch and they also make video cards that support legacy BIOS only. It is a bit more difficult to discern which MSI video cards support the lagacy BIOS.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=C2AC8AD1-33A2-4876-A1B2-9B377BD7FB16&lang=eng

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-cards/

"What is the best video card compatible with my computer and motherboard to work with UHD?" Check the specs on the available cards at manufacturers website and read the reviews.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You can upgrade to a powerful video card, but there will be a few things you need to know and do.

Your desktop PC's motherboard came from a generation before UEFI and only allows installation of video cards that support its legacy BIOS.  That means that you can only install a video card that has legacy BIOS support or a physical switch that allows the choice of UEFI\Legacy BIOS.  Otherwise a UEFI BIOS only video card will not be recognized as present by your motherboard's BIOS and the PC won't make it past the POST to boot up, not even to the BIOS.

You will need to install a high quality PSU (Corsair or another enthiusiast brand) that will supply at least 400-450 watts. The PSU mus also be delivered with 6\8-pin PCIe power  connectors for the video card. Check the system requirements for the candidate video cards you are looking at. 

Sapphire and MSI both make video cards that have a switch and they also make video cards that support legacy BIOS only. It is a bit more difficult to discern which MSI video cards support the lagacy BIOS.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=C2AC8AD1-33A2-4876-A1B2-9B377BD7FB16&lang=eng

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-cards/

"What is the best video card compatible with my computer and motherboard to work with UHD?" Check the specs on the available cards at manufacturers website and read the reviews.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Erico-  I appreciate the info you gave me about Legacy bios.  I went to Best Buy because I bought the desktop computer there 4or5 years ago and told them I needed a video card that would work with Legacy bios.  I just want to install a UHD monitor but for viewing house plans, not gaming.  They gave me XFX Radeon R7 360 and a 600w power supply.  I don't see anything on the video card box about the bios requirement, so I asked the geek squad guy about legacy bios compatible video card and told him what computer I had and he said it would work.   I installed it and the display is blank, nothing happens except a few seconds and the 27" monitor I have said "check display cable" or something like that.  I reinstalled the original video card and wondering if I missed something or if I should have done what you said and went with saphiretech.  Any solution  to get the R7 360 to work or do I take it back?  Thanks.

HP Recommended

I wouldn't get the XFX version. They don't specify BIOS support, one way or the other for the card, at their website. Apparently they don't consider that a person interested in the card would be upgrading in a manufactured PC instead of a DIY version.  That sin't very customer friendly. Fortunately ,they aren't the only company who licenses the refrerence design.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-r7-300-series/amd-radeon-r7-360-double-dissipation-r7-...

I would look for a Sapphiretechnology version. Their r7 360 cards do suport both BIOS types and have a physical switch on the card itself that allows you to select legacy or UEFI.

Geek Squad is known for sometimes giving  inaccurate information. I would certainly take the card back to get a refund. You will still need the power supply.

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to research this for me.  I am a total novice with computers.  I will do as you said this time and go with Sapphiretech.  I like that they have the bios switch.  I think it will allow me to use the video card in any computer if I decide to get a different one later.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

You are quite welcome. That is exactly why we are here. 

🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.