Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8000 Elite miniter
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My son has an old HP compaq 8000  elite convertible minitower with core2duo processor.  He installed a new hard drive and ram but got 5 beeps when he started it up.  I think it means:

"There has been a processor error. A damaged expansion card, the CPU or the motherboard could be prompting this AMI beep code."

What is the fastest processor he can upgrade to and which motherboard does he need to get?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

5 beeps = memory error.

Remove and reseat all of the memory modules and see if that resolves the problem.

If not, remove all memory modules and test each one alone one at a time to see if the PC runs normally.

If it does, keep testing each one until you find the one that makes it beep.

Once you have isolated the bad memory module, you can replace it.

Very hard PC to get memory that works, for.  I used this memory in my 8000 Elite CMT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220480

Below is the link to the quickspecs for the 8000 Elite.

The supported processors can be found on pp 7-8.

If you need a new motherboard, you would have to replace the motherboard with same one from an 8000 Elite.

Used but tested motherboards are about $25 on eBay.

Or you could get a motherboard from a 8100 Elite or 8200 Elite but you would need a different supported processor series for either of those models.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

5 beeps = memory error.

Remove and reseat all of the memory modules and see if that resolves the problem.

If not, remove all memory modules and test each one alone one at a time to see if the PC runs normally.

If it does, keep testing each one until you find the one that makes it beep.

Once you have isolated the bad memory module, you can replace it.

Very hard PC to get memory that works, for.  I used this memory in my 8000 Elite CMT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220480

Below is the link to the quickspecs for the 8000 Elite.

The supported processors can be found on pp 7-8.

If you need a new motherboard, you would have to replace the motherboard with same one from an 8000 Elite.

Used but tested motherboards are about $25 on eBay.

Or you could get a motherboard from a 8100 Elite or 8200 Elite but you would need a different supported processor series for either of those models.

HP Recommended

The Patriot RAM you suggest was the first RAM we tried which did not fit at all.  We were totally unable to get the clips to close.  (PC3-10600 1333MHZ)  so we returned that and got the Crucial RAM.  The first one we installed fit like a dream.  The second slot was hard to put in but it eventually slid in and we were able to close the clip.  I will try what you suggest and see if that makes the difference.  The store (Fry's Electronics) only had 2 of the Crucial brand RAM and they were both OPENBOX sales so it is possible that there was something wrong with them. I have 30 days to return it.

I hope by reseating the RAM it will work. Thanks. I'll give it a try and keep you posted.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome

That's very interesting.

I had no problem installing 4 of those in my 8000 Elite to max it out to 16 GB.

You really have to push firmly down on those memory modules to seat them.  The clips should automatically snap in place if the memory is seated correctly.  If it is not in all the way, the PC will definitely beep at you.

BTW, here is the troubleshooting guide...see Appendix A starting on page 55 for the list of beep codes and suggested troubleshooting procedures.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3459240&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01...

HP Recommended

Thanks SO much!!!  We found out which of the two RAM was bad.  It is working on 4RAM right now and we got the System 7 installed.  My kids are SO happy:)  Again Thanks!!!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

another question.  My boys are so excited that they got the computer to work.  We don't need to upgrade the motherboard and processor at this point since the computer is working, but if at some point we do want to upgrade, you mentioned that we can get a tested, working motherboard on ebay for about $25.  Does this include a processor or do I need to purchase a processor/CPU separately?  

HP Recommended

Hi:

If you only want to upgrade the processor in the 8000 Elite to one of the quad cores listed in the document I posted, you only need to get the processor.

If you want to upgrade the motherboard to one from an 8100 Elite or 8200 Elite, you would also need to get a different processor and heat sink for the applicable motherboard you upgrade to.

Here are the links to the 8100 and 8200 Elite quickspecs.  They use the same memory at the 8000 Elite.

http://www.nts.nl/site/html/modules/PDF/PC/HP%208100%20CMT.pdf

https://www.bw-pc.uni-freiburg.de/dateien/bw-pc-3.2/quickspecs/version21

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.