Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Compaq DC7800
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
I'm using Hp Compaq DC7800 desktop core 2 duo with 2GB of ram.
Now I'm planning to upgrade from 320GB to 1tb hard disk (Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5).
- Would it run smoothly on system?
- Is this a good choice or 512 GB?
- This one or another model of hard disk of some other company?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

It is not the size of the hard drive.  You can go to 2 TB in that model.

It is the speed of the drive that may conflict with the dc7800.

SATA 6.0 GBPS drives may have the problem outlined in the above document, which mine had.

If you don't want to take a risk of that happening, then you need to get a SATA II (3.0 GBPS) drive and they may be hard to find nowadays.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

A 1 TB drive will work fine because I put one in my HP dc7800.

There is one problem though...This document explains it.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3718645&docId=emr_na-c02711513-3

Now, the fact that you are getting a Seagate drive, that may be OK, but I can't guarantee it.

I originally planned to install a Western Digital SATA III drive in my dc7800, but it displayed the symptoms in the above document (not detected on start up most of the time).

Naturally, I assumed the drive was defective, so I returned it, and the replacement drive did the same thing.

Then I came across the above document.

I have a HP 8200 Elite (which is a descendant of the dc7800) and it came with a Seagate 1 TB HDD, SATA III (6.0 GBPS).

So, I put the Seagate drive in my dc7800 several years ago, and it has worked fine ever since. 

I put the 500 GB WD HDD in the 8200 Elite and it works just fine in that model, because it has a sata III controller.

So, that may be the only issue you come across. 

It is a major issue of course, if the drive doesn't work.

HP Recommended
So I should try 1 TB in DC7800 as 1St preference and if your mentioned fault occurs then I should go for 512GB?
Thanks a lot...
HP Recommended

Hi:

It is not the size of the hard drive.  You can go to 2 TB in that model.

It is the speed of the drive that may conflict with the dc7800.

SATA 6.0 GBPS drives may have the problem outlined in the above document, which mine had.

If you don't want to take a risk of that happening, then you need to get a SATA II (3.0 GBPS) drive and they may be hard to find nowadays.

HP Recommended
One more problem it would be so nice of you explaining it:
Earlier I had 4GB (2X2) ram and DC7800 started giving this error at boot time
"Memory not configured correctly for proper MEBx execution. Make sure there is a memory module in the black DIMM socket"
I ignored it for some time then DC7800 started blinking red light so I opened it and removed one of the ram.

Then PC turned on properly(red blinking light was gone) but "Memory not configured...." error was there.

So I searched it online and found that if I put my ram into black socket (there is one 1 black and 3 white sockets for ram) then this error will be gone.
So I did this and the error was gone.

But the problem is every time I try to put an additional ram the CPU gives red light beeping.

I tried many combinations of both rams but still the same problem.
I put both of them individually in black socket and both worked worked fine but in combination there was red light beeping.
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need to make sure the memory is the same amount for each channel.

On my dc7800 I installed 4 x 2 GB for a total of 8 GB, and no problem.

But if you are installing memory that doesn't match in size, you have to put the same total amount in slots one (black) and 3, as you do in slots 2 and 4.

For example...2 x 2 GB.  One chip goes in the black slot, and the second 2 GB chip goes in the second white slot from the black one.

If you then try to add a 1 GB chip in the white slot next to the black one, the PC will beep unless you add a second 1 GB chip in the last white memory slot.

The memory has to equal out.

If you had one 2 GB chip and 2 x 1 GB chips, you would put the 2 GB chip in the black slot, one of the 1 GB chips in the white slot next to the black one and 1 GB chip in the furthest white slot from the black one.

It is much easier to just add 4 of the same size memory chips and then you get no errors as long as the memory you are getting is compatible.

I recommend PC2-6400 since anything less slows the PC down, and PC2-4200 memory won't work at all, I don't believe.

It has to be 667 (PC2-5300) or 800 MHz (PC2-6400).

HP Recommended
<p>Thanks a lotThanks a lot fur your precious time. :-)&nbsp;</p>
<p>This helped me a lot.</p>
<p>Wishing you a very happy life&nbsp;</p>
<p>Good bye 😄</p>
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.