Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z210
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I am planning on getting a tower cooler for my Z210, as the stock one usually reaches ~75°C when gaming or editing video. I am wondering whether there is enough clearance begind the motherboard for a backplate? (Currently looking at the 212 EVO and Dragon 4). Just wanted to ask here if anyone runs a similar setup before I went and bought anything.

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Giklab, welcome to the forum.

Which model is yours; the Convertible Minitower workstation or the Small Form Factor workstation?

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@old_geekster, thanks for the welcome! Sorry, it's the Convertible Minitower. The cooler would need a mounting system similar to this (same as the stock cooler). Neither a backplate nor push-pins will work as there are in-built standoffs behind the motherboard. Maybe I'm having a slow brain moment but I don't seem to be able to find the name of this mount. 

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Giklab.

My biggest concern is the heighth of the cooler.  Here is a cooler that is reported to work with the Z220:

Does it look like what you need?  The name of the reseller is shown on the face: Alan Computertech.  If you read the tag on it, it is made by HP.

HP Recommended
That is the exact cooler I have right now (it's the stock cooler for a Z210, and other similar designs I guess). Do you know what this mounting system is called? All I can find is "1155 server mount" which doesn't really help that much.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Giklab.

I believe that this type of base is called a Push Pin connector.  Here is a video that will help you.  There is some good information in the article, also.

The main thing that you have to be aware of is, many of the newer coolers are extremely high.  You can measure the distance from the CPU socket to the case to see how much space there is.  Then, you can look for a socket 1155 compatible cooler.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended
They are not actually push pins, but screws (I wish, because that would make everything very simple, but alas they are not). Anyway, I've confirmed with Cooler Master that they don't make anything compatible, so I guess I'll just have to pony up for a Noctua NH-9S or something.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information. @Giklab.

I am sorry that I couldn't be of more help to you.  Sometimes because HP uses proprietary components, it is difficult to upgrade their products.

Good luck!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.