Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
8000 elite

after placing an ssd, i am getting that notification. nothing else happens.

i checked the bios, but i noticed i cant change the boot sequence(ssd first, other harddrive second place) so i changed the sata cables too let the ssd be the startup disc.

anyone who can help?

the ssd has already an os installed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry, from your description, I thought you might have "migrated" Win10 from the HDD to the SDD, and when folks do that by copying partitions, they nearly always forget to migrate the partition including the boot loader files.

So, you did a clean-install of Win10 to the SSD?

If that's the case, you might be able to repair it by running Startup Repair from win10 install media.

To do this, you will need to use the link to download Win10 installation media and either burn a DVD or create a USB stick: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit).  While you CAN change these settings, do NOT.  If you do, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code!

Then, follow these directions to run Startup Repair: Doing Startup-Repair

You may have to do that same set of steps three times.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

butch72

Hello;

I read your post about your boot problems and wanted to help.

Any HP preinstalled PC will come with at least three partitions on the hard drive (system reserved or efi, OS, Recovery).

When you "migrate" from an HDD to an SDD, you need to copy more than just the OS partition. In the case of Win7 or older, you need the system reserved partition, as well.  In the case of Win8 or newer, you need the efi partition.

These other partitions contain the Windows boot loader files. Without those, your PC will not boot.

You need to reboot from hour HDD and see which extra partition you need to copy over to your SDD.

Good Luck

If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

HP Recommended

manu thanks for the reply. the ssd has an active windows ten installation, but the workstation doesnt boot, it just gives me the notification 'attempting boot from harddrive'

HP Recommended

Sorry, from your description, I thought you might have "migrated" Win10 from the HDD to the SDD, and when folks do that by copying partitions, they nearly always forget to migrate the partition including the boot loader files.

So, you did a clean-install of Win10 to the SSD?

If that's the case, you might be able to repair it by running Startup Repair from win10 install media.

To do this, you will need to use the link to download Win10 installation media and either burn a DVD or create a USB stick: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit).  While you CAN change these settings, do NOT.  If you do, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code!

Then, follow these directions to run Startup Repair: Doing Startup-Repair

You may have to do that same set of steps three times.

Good Luck

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.