Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I own HP Pavilion Elite HPE H8 1010cs. Motherboard is HP IPISB-CH2. I bought new graphic card GAINWARD Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB together with 600W PSU Corsair CX600M. First I tried my new PSU with my old GPU nvidia 550Ti. It worked perfectly. But when I replaced old card with new GTX 970, bios freezes on the first power on window. Escape does not work. Should I return new graphic card, or is there still some hope in this?

20141020_210211.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Tomas83,

I understand that you are having issues getting your HP Pavilion HPE h8-1010cs Desktop PC towork with your Gainward GeForce® GTX 970 Phantom 4GB Graphics Card. I believe the reason you are experiencing this issue is the the break in the downward compatibility on the PCIe slots was broken at around the Gen 2.1 mark and you are trying to put a Gen 3.0 card in a Gen 1.0 slot. This in essence makes your computer incompatible with the graphics card you have chosen to use.  I am providing you an article on the overclock.net website titled The final answer to the controversial PCIe x16 version compatibility., where the author explains what I described and goes into how he made the determination. I would advise you review the article if you have any questions concerning the issue you are facing.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @Tomas83,

I understand that you are having issues getting your HP Pavilion HPE h8-1010cs Desktop PC towork with your Gainward GeForce® GTX 970 Phantom 4GB Graphics Card. I believe the reason you are experiencing this issue is the the break in the downward compatibility on the PCIe slots was broken at around the Gen 2.1 mark and you are trying to put a Gen 3.0 card in a Gen 1.0 slot. This in essence makes your computer incompatible with the graphics card you have chosen to use.  I am providing you an article on the overclock.net website titled The final answer to the controversial PCIe x16 version compatibility., where the author explains what I described and goes into how he made the determination. I would advise you review the article if you have any questions concerning the issue you are facing.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

Thank you for reply, Dunidar. I returned the graphic card with reason that it is not compatible with my MB.

HP Recommended
Dunidar, the IPISB-CH2 actually has PCIE x16 2.0 slot which should be forward compatible with the PCIE 3.0 standard. Please check here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/306766-30-figure-pcie-version
Also, PCIE is largely dependent on the CPU support, which the 2600 and the H67 chipset both have support for PCIE 3.0 through forwards compatibility. My X58 chipset motherboard and i7 960 1136 socket CPU support newer cards. I think HP has abandoned support for this board.
HP Recommended

@Dunidar

The real reason for the NVIDIA GTX 970 not working is the PC BIOS level. The newer graphics cards require a full UEFI BIOS which is a HP level 8 or higher BIOS level.  The HP version 7 BIOS level for the HPE H8 1010cs is not going to support the NVIDIA GTX 970.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
My ASUS P6X58D-E doesn't have a UEFI bios, is older than the 1156 socket IPISB-CH2 in the HP h8-1130a and also has a PCIE 2.0 x16 slot and a brand new ASUS 1060 STRIX 6GB works perfectly. Plug and play.
What is going on there?
HP Recommended

@ewat

What is going here is that you don't have a HP motherboard. The comparison is apples to oranges.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
You're incorrect. The IPISB-CH2 was the stock motherboard shipped with the HP h8-1130a. It's definitely a HP motherboard. The ASUS P6X58D-E is just both an older chipset (X58) and older socket (1136) and has the same slot which is both forwards and backwards compatible.
What's happened here is HP have not updated the BIOS in 5 years.
HP Recommended

@ewat

Your information is technically incorrect. HP's OEM motherboards are built to different specifications compared to retail motherboards and have been for years. Again, apples and oranges on your comparison. For the most part, HP is not going to update the BIOS in HP motherboards that were manufactured beyond 1-2 years from the initial release date.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.