Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion 500-012el
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Buon giorno,

sono intenzionato a sostituire la scheda video Nvidia nativa presente sul pc (GeForce GT 640)

e volevo capire che modelli della medesima marca sono compatibili con il mio pc.

Allego link scheda tecnica del mio pc: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?DocLang=it&docId=emr_na-c03880865&docLocale=it_IT

Vi chiedo questo aiuto perchè non me ne intendo di componentistica e compatibilità e non vorrei acquistare componenti che poi non sono supportati dall'alimentatore o scheda madre.

Grazie mille, buona giornata

Nicola

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Nicola33,

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! 🙂 Good day. Hope you are doing well.  I understand that you are looking for assistance regarding video card upgrade for your computer.  It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you here. 🙂

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I have reviewed the situation and it is paramount that we address your issue. Thank you for giving us the privilege to assist you on this platform. 🙂 Excellent research and diagnosis were done before posting your query. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

First off, we need to consider a few things before upgrading the graphics card.

• The power supply unit of the PC that you have is  300 Watts.
  • The power supply involved, the form factor of the graphics card and the PCIE slot involved and the connector pins.
  • The geforce-gt-740 requires a 400-watt power supply and one 6 pin power connector.

Link for product specifications of the graphics card:  http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-740/specifications

So You will need to replace the power supply unit (PSU) of the computer and check the size or form factor of the PCIE slot and video card before installing it.  Card dimensions are listed below.

GT 740 Graphics Card Dimensions:

Height    4.38 inches          4.38 inches

Length   5.7 inches             5.7 inches

Width     Dual-width            Dual-width

On paper, it looks like the computer supports it after upgrading the power supply unit of the computer to 400 watts. However, I would still request you to consult a Local computer technician before proceeding with the upgrade of the card.

Please note that HP does not recommend upgrading either the operating system or the computer’s hardware as the components that were initially installed with the unit are certified by HP for optimal performance. However, as you are very technically inclined, I would still request you to consult a local technician like Best Buy or Staples before proceeding to upgrade the unit.

Finally, it looks like it is compatible with the computer with the power supply upgrade to 400 watts also.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you .:)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.  🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family:)  Take care.:)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Forum. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To insure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English. The following links are here to assist you if you prefer to post in the following Language Forum.

German: HP Kundenforum
Spanish: Foro de usuarios de HP
French: Forum des utilisateurs
Portuguese: Fórum dos usuários HP
Chinese: 惠普个人客户支持论坛
Korean: HP 지식커뮤니티

Thank you for your understanding

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Good morning,

I would like to to replace the Nvidia video (GeForce GT 640) card on the native PC (Pavilion 500-012el)
and I would like to figure out what video card models Nvidia are compatible with my pc.

link data-sheet of my pc: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?DocLang=it&docId=emr_na-c03880865&docLocale=it_IT

for example, the GeForce GT 740 is compatible? or you can advise me other top performing similar models?

I ask this help because I do not understand the components and compatibility and I would not purchase components which then are not supported feeder or motherboard.

Thank you very much, good day

Nicola

HP Recommended

Hi @Nicola33,

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! 🙂 Good day. Hope you are doing well.  I understand that you are looking for assistance regarding video card upgrade for your computer.  It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you here. 🙂

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I have reviewed the situation and it is paramount that we address your issue. Thank you for giving us the privilege to assist you on this platform. 🙂 Excellent research and diagnosis were done before posting your query. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

First off, we need to consider a few things before upgrading the graphics card.

• The power supply unit of the PC that you have is  300 Watts.
  • The power supply involved, the form factor of the graphics card and the PCIE slot involved and the connector pins.
  • The geforce-gt-740 requires a 400-watt power supply and one 6 pin power connector.

Link for product specifications of the graphics card:  http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-740/specifications

So You will need to replace the power supply unit (PSU) of the computer and check the size or form factor of the PCIE slot and video card before installing it.  Card dimensions are listed below.

GT 740 Graphics Card Dimensions:

Height    4.38 inches          4.38 inches

Length   5.7 inches             5.7 inches

Width     Dual-width            Dual-width

On paper, it looks like the computer supports it after upgrading the power supply unit of the computer to 400 watts. However, I would still request you to consult a Local computer technician before proceeding with the upgrade of the card.

Please note that HP does not recommend upgrading either the operating system or the computer’s hardware as the components that were initially installed with the unit are certified by HP for optimal performance. However, as you are very technically inclined, I would still request you to consult a local technician like Best Buy or Staples before proceeding to upgrade the unit.

Finally, it looks like it is compatible with the computer with the power supply upgrade to 400 watts also.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you .:)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.  🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family:)  Take care.:)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Nicola33,

I thank you for your speedy response. I also thank you for accepting this as a solution. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles. You've been awesome to work with. 🙂

Take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have blessed year ahead.:)
To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up"button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.