Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
omen 870-090
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thanks. I am writing this with the case open of my brand new omen 870 090.

On the graphics I am getting mixed results but I must in a minority as I am coming from an 1070 already. Strange thing basic stress test in Fire Strike have failed to pass. I suspect throttling.

Over the 1070 I am getting disappointing 10% improvement. I think because I am coming from a "modified" 1070. Zotac 1070 amp. And the hp seems to include the stock version that has only one fan. Fewer fans mean less room to boost clock.

I guess my questions are:

1) are there published specs of the 1080 card included? 3D Mark shows kind of weak clock speeds, 1.8Ghz for Core, 1.2 Ghz for memory (my 1070 AMP from Zotac posts 2Ghz in both core and memory).

2) are there any settings for fan control in BIOS or in software (Omen)? I am thinking that hopefully if I am willing to live with a louder box, a more aggresive fan curve could prevent throttling.

anyone else having throlling or weak graphics performance in this machine?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP in the past used specially built OEM graphics cards that work within HP's specific tolerances and designed cabinets. Typically the HP OEM graphics cards are not OC'd models.

The difference in pixel rate between the stock 1070 and stock 1080 is only 7%.  Other comparisons show the 1080 to be 25-40% faster when comparing a stock 1070 to a stock 1080.  The 1080 was built for 4K processing whereas the 1070 was not.

You can use GPU-Z to get a reading on the 1080's specifics. Then do a model lookup at the TechPowerUP site and compare the specifications to other models of the 1080. 

Performance measuring can be disappointing as not benchmarks will accurately test new designs. Review this comparison.

Fan curves for the newer GPUs are built into the unit and don't kick in until needed. BTW-EVGA has two models of the 1080 with only only fan.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP in the past used specially built OEM graphics cards that work within HP's specific tolerances and designed cabinets. Typically the HP OEM graphics cards are not OC'd models.

The difference in pixel rate between the stock 1070 and stock 1080 is only 7%.  Other comparisons show the 1080 to be 25-40% faster when comparing a stock 1070 to a stock 1080.  The 1080 was built for 4K processing whereas the 1070 was not.

You can use GPU-Z to get a reading on the 1080's specifics. Then do a model lookup at the TechPowerUP site and compare the specifications to other models of the 1080. 

Performance measuring can be disappointing as not benchmarks will accurately test new designs. Review this comparison.

Fan curves for the newer GPUs are built into the unit and don't kick in until needed. BTW-EVGA has two models of the 1080 with only only fan.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Many thanks. Will do and reply back.
What is disappointing is that the card does not pass the "4K gaming" threshold set by 3D Mark. I think this implementation of the card for HP is a bit of a waste for this chassis. In a way it is too much card for the box design. There is little room for the heat of the card to dissipate to and there is not, as far as I can see, active cooking (air in) only the fan to get the hot air of the CPU out.
The combination of the post powerful card in the market (besides Titan) and overcloxkable CPU in such poorly ventilated chassis is a recipe for frustration and short life expectancy -memory and storage do not her any active cooling either.
HP Recommended

thanks. again. in fact, I think given the review, I cannot complain. I got very close to the Fire Strike Ultra score.

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

This is what worries me; several attempts at runnign 3DMark stress tests, even the basic Fire Strike (not the UItra for 4k), fail. I think it is throttling but I need to run it a few more times to confirm. but if anyone has suggestions, more than welcome.

resultfailedstress.3dmark-result

HP Recommended

@DanRdz

You can also use GPU-Z to monitor the gpu temperature.

If you think that it is getting too hot then open up the PC and see if that makes a difference.

NVIDIA has an over clocking utility that you can get if you register. I am not suggesting that you OC the 1080 but instead look to see if there are options to change the fan curves or speed.

HP Recommended
Thanks. Will try that. In temps, the zotac 1070 amp (in a mid size tower) finishes the stress test about 10 centigrade (about 69) below the hp omen 1080 (81). Anything close to 80 makes me worried.
HP Recommended

This site might help with tools.

I just loaded the EVGA Precision X OC tool. The GTX 980 TI that I have is MSI but the tool works on all brands.  At idle with the GPU fan set to max it reaches 2300 rpm and the gpu temp is 34c.

HP Recommended

just to report, I removed the side panel, and unfortunately, it still fails the stress test (even the Basic Fire Strike).

will try the utility for a more aggresive fan curve, but I think HP should have gone with a card with more cooling (either fans or heat pipes) for such a small chassis.

too bad, it sounds as the machine is going back to microcenter quite soon -it was a good sale, I think, at US$1.4 but if it does not add much to my brand-less US$1.3 machine with the Zotac 1070 AMP, I think I would be just be buying stability issues either now or in the short-future if I were to make this my main machine.

HP Recommended

and to whoever if any reads this, as I stated before, my "dissapointment" I think comes from starting from a mid-to high end 1070, and "only" upgrading to a stock 1080. below what I get from my current system with a 1070 AM. so 10% improvement is not worth it (but check my 1070 is considerably faster than the 1070 Fire Strike Ultra cited here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/gtx-1080-vs-1070

so, unless you are moving from a 1070, you are bound not to be dissapointed with the HP Omen 1080.

Capture.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.