Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP pavilion p7 - 1447c
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I recently got a new graphics card, a Geforce GTX 660 ti, in my computer. When I tried running it, I couldn't get any output to my monitors. I searched online for some solutions, and saw that some people ran their bios and changed their settings to take the external graphics card instead of the internal one. I also tried editting my settings, but I couldn't find the specific tab to change the default graphics card. My friend who gave me the 660 ti said he didn't have to go through any bios to get it to work for him; he just put it in and started playing. Is there any way to get the card to work? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@erico, makes some valid points.  That unit is UEFI WIN 8 based OS.  You must set the BIOS to Legacy support to allow the GTX 660 Ti (legacy) card to work.

Some excellent reading on the GTX 600 series family:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Graphics-Card-Installation-Syste...

HP support article (how it works example).

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-550-000-desktop-pc-series/7779690/document/c03653200...

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The problem you are running into is that the Geforce GTX 660 ti may not be compatible with a legacy BIOS.

Which interface are you using between the card and your display? VGA\HDMI\DVI ?

You did not specify the brand and exact model number so I can't check that for you.

Is it a UEFI or legacy BIOS support type?

Newer cards are generally for UEFI BIOS PCs.  I am not certain if yours has that.  It appears that yours is a UEFI BIOS PC.

In the BIOS settings under security, you can enable or disable Legacy support.  You will have to do that with the old card in so you can see it.  

Do you know which motherboard your PC has? It could be a Joshua or a Jasmine.

I am headed to Germany for some Christmas shoppping.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I'm using DVI between the card and mydisplay.

I'm not sure how to check whethere my mother board is a Joshua or Jasmine.

HP Recommended

@erico, makes some valid points.  That unit is UEFI WIN 8 based OS.  You must set the BIOS to Legacy support to allow the GTX 660 Ti (legacy) card to work.

Some excellent reading on the GTX 600 series family:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Graphics-Card-Installation-Syste...

HP support article (how it works example).

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-550-000-desktop-pc-series/7779690/document/c03653200...

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.