Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP750-124
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought a 2TB, 16G, i7 intel 750-124.  is there space and adequate power to add a GEforce 970 or 980?  If yes, advice on proceeding?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

I don't think so. I have never seen any.

They all require an internal PCIe x16 2.0 or 3.0 slot on the motherboard.

Jay

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Three items to verify before taking the graphics card upgrade plunge are:

1. Power supply, your system only sports a 300 watt power supply. You need to upgrade this. So you now have to measure the existing power supply and shop for an equivalent sized PS having at least 500 watts to 650 watts of power. Corsair and Seasonic are good choices to look at.

2. UEFI BIOS, your PC is UEFI enabled. And you have a PCIe x16 3.0 slot on the motherboard.

3. Graphics card dimensions. Will the perspective card fit in your tower?

970 and 980 cards require more than a 300 watt power supply.

These card are usually around 10.1 inches to 10.5 inches in length and are double slot cards. You have to measure the length along the PCIe x16 slot to verify it will fit. You also have to pop a second backplate on the rear input/output shield to install the card.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You will have to completely uninstall the current graphics drivers before installing the new card if you decide to upgrade the power supply and the card fits in your tower.

You will also have to enter the BIOS (Setup) to disable secure boot and enable legacy boot before installing the new graphics card.

Jay

HP Recommended

Thanks.  Are there external GEforce GPU's?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

I don't think so. I have never seen any.

They all require an internal PCIe x16 2.0 or 3.0 slot on the motherboard.

Jay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.