Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have decided that im going to use a amd r7 240. Ill let you guys how it goes
HP Recommended
I just got the card in and it works perfect thanks every one
HP Recommended

@ets63

Thanks for getting back to the community with the successful solution.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Anytime really appreciate it
HP Recommended

So if I were to upgrade the old HD to an SSD and discard the DVD drive, would that free up some extra Watts to get a more power hungry graphics card and by how much?

HP Recommended

hi I have same elite -8100 sff - plse can u give details of the partic.  r7 card you installed-was there much improvement? Thanks, Tony

HP Recommended

hello

I am a poor man, but I do have some intel to provide to you. Even though this is an old post, maybe someone will find this answer to this problem. I am also inebriated while I am posting this, but not so much as I can not help you solve this problem.

First off you must not give a "insert adjective here" what your end product looks like nor give a "insert adjective here" about voiding the warrenty on your computer.

You can use the stock power supply for the main board and all its components but not the PCI x16 video card.

1. Rip that "insert adjective here" top off the small form factor box.

2. Cut that piece of "insert adjective here" PCI retainer off of the box.

3, Buy what ever PCIx16 graphics card u want, but you must also remeber that all video cards are differnt sizes. Therefor the video card that you want may hit a capicator when seating it or part of the moterboard or the casing itself. SIZE DOES MATTER!!! Dammit!

4. Buy the power supply that is recommened for that PCIx16 video card.

5. Make a stand or box for your your new power supply that will support it off the table or what ever the "insert adjective here" you have  your SFF on.

6. Put your PCIx16  graphics card in the PCIx16 slot

7. Plug in your recommend power supply for that PCIx16 card and connect the 6 pin connector to your PCIx16 video card, unless the video card you are going to use does not use a power supply connector then you are a dumb "insert adjective here".

8. Update your driver for your PCIx16 video card and play your "insert adjective here" 3d/high profile games.

Your computer will look like "insert adjective here" but it will work , when i get more money this is my set up!!!!

HP Recommended

This is a super old post but since my 8100 is old but still kicking it.  I decided to upgrade everything I could. Cheaply.

I got the darn thing free, so why not use it as a kid computer they can kick around.  Mine has a fast i5 3.6G chip and it blazes through internet stuff, so I decided its still capable of other fun. 

As for SSD's they only save about 4-5 watts so there some savings but not much. Its worth more for the fast load up than anything. I would like to do this. When the pricing comes down a tad more.

And Yes you can take the (enter explicative here) mother board out and mount it in a (enter explicative here) luan box held together with glue an thumb-tacts. But hey ya um what ever.

So, max out the memory with cheep memory from ebay,  I used 2-4gb set... Keep in mind there are 2 channels on this computer so you need to read the manual on this.  I already had 4 gb of meme in the thing so I just stuck that in channel 2.  For a total of 12 GB. Dont' jundge me!!!!  I got three kids with bad teeth!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-2x-4GB-DDR3-1333MHz-PC3-10600-DESKTOP-Memory-Non-ECC-1333-Low-Density-RA...

Then get this:

Gigabyte Graphics Cards GV-N75TOC-2GL- GTX 750 ti. Low Pro 2GB.

Seams to be the fastest thing that is low power. Its new so it would not be posted prior to 2016. this is a option over the

VisionTek Radeon 7750 SFF 1GB GDDR5 (DVI-I, HDMI) Graphics Card - 900549

Which is another option. The Gigabyte has more Cores. So I got it and it was cheeper, due to the market for anything Radon in the US being stupid and always costing more.

Also... not sure its better the GB... but the GB has more port options.

MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti DirectX 11.2 N750 Ti-2GD5TLP 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

And Boom.  Kick ass little box that can render and doesn't get too hot.  When we play heavy games both fans spool up but nothing gets over 67degC. so I don't fear anthing blowing up.

If you don't want to spend over $500 on a new PSU and Heavy GPU do it... But not all of us want to Mod the case. Kids have fingers and they find all kinds of weird holes.  besides this computer MOBO (mother board) is not worth all that work. This way just slap some new tech in there and off you go.

Chip- 73 watts

HDD- 5.4watts.

DVD- 3.7 watts when on.

GPU- 60watts

fans? 20watts???

12GB memory - 4-6watts...???

**bleep** I don't know abbout 10watts.

MAX 178.1watts....  20% headroom.... on a 220 watt PSU... (I think mine is 240)

Good ya?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.