Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp pro 3500 mt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

upgrade my gpu to an gtx 970 and changing cpu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the computer.  If you start on Page 31 and read the following pages, there is information about the processors that are compatible with the motherboard.

As for the GTX 970, if your motherboard has UEFI it should work.  However, you will have to upgrade the power supply unit (PSU), also.  The current PSU is only 300W.  This is not enough to power the GTX 970.  You will have to go to the manufacturer's website to get the specs for the card.  I believe that you would want to upgrade to a PSU with at least 500W, maybe more.  You should measure the space provided for the video card to assure there is enough for the card.  I believe they are at least 10" in length.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the computer.  If you start on Page 31 and read the following pages, there is information about the processors that are compatible with the motherboard.

As for the GTX 970, if your motherboard has UEFI it should work.  However, you will have to upgrade the power supply unit (PSU), also.  The current PSU is only 300W.  This is not enough to power the GTX 970.  You will have to go to the manufacturer's website to get the specs for the card.  I believe that you would want to upgrade to a PSU with at least 500W, maybe more.  You should measure the space provided for the video card to assure there is enough for the card.  I believe they are at least 10" in length.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.