Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700-230ea Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all

looking for some update tips for my 2 year old Envy 700-230ea descktop

thinking of doing the following

Replace Boot Drive wth a Fast SSD

Doubling  the Ram from 16MB to 32 MB

Add a better Graphics card.

Just having trouble finding compatibel items, so anyone got any idea, what type of memory I should look for so that its compatible with the existing 2,  8 meg sticks

SSD Drives seem to be a confusing mine field what should I look for to use as a boot drive.

Graphics card is going to be limited to what the power supply can put out, anyone know what it supports as far as current graphics cards go.

Thanks for any help with this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Paul80, welcome to the forum.

Here is the memory and the SSD's that are recommended by Crucial Memory.  They make very good products for OEM computers.  You should open the case and check the brand of memory that is installed.  Then, contact Crucial's Tech Support to see if their memory will be compatible.  The main problem with adding memory is, buying memory that is compatible with the existing modules.

The best way to install the SSD is, leave the existing HDD connected as it came from the factory.  Connect the SSD to another SATA port on the motherboard.  Install the cloning software that you are going to use on the HDD.  Open it and select the SSD as the target drive.  Once the SSD is cloned, disconnect the HDD and boot.  The system shoul boot to the SSD.

As for a video card, here is one that has very good reviews.  Read the Customer Reviews to see what users have to say about it.  It should work nicely with your power supply unit (PSU).

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Paul80, welcome to the forum.

Here is the memory and the SSD's that are recommended by Crucial Memory.  They make very good products for OEM computers.  You should open the case and check the brand of memory that is installed.  Then, contact Crucial's Tech Support to see if their memory will be compatible.  The main problem with adding memory is, buying memory that is compatible with the existing modules.

The best way to install the SSD is, leave the existing HDD connected as it came from the factory.  Connect the SSD to another SATA port on the motherboard.  Install the cloning software that you are going to use on the HDD.  Open it and select the SSD as the target drive.  Once the SSD is cloned, disconnect the HDD and boot.  The system shoul boot to the SSD.

As for a video card, here is one that has very good reviews.  Read the Customer Reviews to see what users have to say about it.  It should work nicely with your power supply unit (PSU).

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks for all the help

Will have a look to see what make of ram is already installed and contact Crucial to see what they do.

Thanks again for the help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.