Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have two HPs, a Pavilion 93950f and a Slimline s5360f. The latter failed with the same problem that everyone has reported here, and then the former suffered the same fate two weeks later! Both have the M2N78-LA motherboard (though different revisions).

Trying to decide if it's worth replacing the motherboard in one or both. There's a lot of good hardware in the two machines, and I like the cases on both--but don't relish the idea of two motherboard-ectomies. Plus, the Gigabyte board that many people are recommending as a replacement seems to be sold out or backordered nearly everywhere.

Has anyone successfully replaced their board in either of these two models? If so, what exact make/model did you use, and how did it go?

HP Recommended

As the HP s5360f has only been released on December 23rd 2009, your PC shouldn't be too old and I guess it's been out of warranty only by no more than a couple of months.

If I were you, I would follow this link http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/execteam/email/ceo/index.html, I would give hell to the CEO escalation team and explain in details the problems you've encountered when you called customer and/or technical support that told you for sure and without a doubt, there was nothing they could do unless you pay to get your PC fixed.

Maybe you'll get lucky. Give it a try it may worth it.

... And keep us posted!!!

HP Recommended

Sent the CEO a message. My granddaughters' machine (a P6130y) has the same motherboard. When entering the BIOS setup it reports no drives. Video still works when started cold.

HP Recommended

Re:  m2n78-la motherboard again.............

I just had my motherboard fail on my m9517c after a year of running fine.  It power cycles three or four times after turning it on and then tries to boot.  It gets past the splash screen and then freezes. The mouse LED goes out and only the fans are on. Once it boots I can F10 into the BIOS setup, or I can use the HP splash screen menu to run diagnostics and it passes all diagnostics but can not load any OS from CD, flash or disk. The power supply seems to provide all voltages at rated values. Nothing to do but replace motherboard.  Other forums report similar problems. Non-tech computer owners are not in a position to report to forums and I suspect this problem is under reported. I feel very strongly that HP should step up and provide at the least a new compatible motherboard.

HP Recommended

My HP p6210f died after 1 year and 5 months.  It won't boot and after much testing I believe it is the m2n78-la motherboard.  I purchased m4a785-m for replacement, re-using CPU and DIMM's.   Two front panel connectors have nowhere to plug in on the m4a785-m motherboard.   Any advice on where to purchase a patch cable to mount to the system panel connector? 

HP Recommended

News of the shocking: I used the CEO/escalation link someone provided earlier, lodged a complaint (using simple, non-hostile language and explanation), and received a call the NEXT DAY from a very friendly customer rep. (Ironically, the call came about 30 minutes after I broke down and ordered a new motherboard.)

There were apologies aplenty from her and the case manager I eventually ended up talking to. However, because one of my two failed systems was a refurb and the other was out of warranty, the best they could offer was 50 percent off on the repairs--which I declined.

Not happy with the two dead systems, but do appreciate the overtures.

UDPATE: Half an hour after I hung up with the case manager, he called me back wanting to know if I'd ever updated either BIOS, as that's a known issue within HP that can cause system failure. I said no, he put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back and said he was going to REPAIR BOTH MACHINES free of charge. Holy smoke! Already received e-mails with the repair-order confirmation. Now let's see if they actually get fixed!

Pretty impressive. This definitely restores a lot of faith in the company.

UPDATE #2 (next day): Shipping boxes arrived from HP today. Yep, they overnighted them. And they're giving me priority shipping, repair, etc. I'm kinda startled by the level of service I'm getting. YMMV, of course.

HP Recommended

OMG....REALLY?!?!?! That is awesome news/ I will be writing them today.

HP Recommended

My Asus m2n78-la motherboard died and I replaced it with M4A785-m.   My computer powers up and sends me into Windows recovery or Windows startup repair.   I cannot get to a Windows desktop.   I am able to get into EZ Flash 2 Bios Facility but I can't figure out what to do within this utility.  The M4A785-M users guide isn't helping me.    I have inserted the CD that came with the new motherboard.  

Any advice on how to setup bios and how to recover Windows 7?   

HP Recommended

{Content Removed}

I am not technically gifted as most of these people commenting so I cannot just order another motherboard and fix it.  Nor should I have to.  This is ridiculous that HP made a completely defected product and is doing nothing about it to fix or replace it.

HP Recommended

juggler107,

Because you replaced the motherboard with another one that didn't come with your computer Windows Recovery comes up. It will not work for the same reason - the non OEM motherboard. For a workaround following the link on page 7 posted by paydaysomeday. The workaround is for Vista but the folders and files should be the same for Windows 7 so it should work. Your other option would be to purchase a new Windows 7 OS or to use one of the free non MS operating systems (see my post on page 8).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.