Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
6000 pro SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I know that this question has been asked (a lot), but I want to upgrade my motherborad because I have an older pc and it's running slow and trying to keep up with Windows 10.

Is there a motherboard upgrade to make my computer faster? Maybe you could leave the name of the other motherboard. Or maybe all I need is a CPU upgrade

Thanks a lot for taking the time....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jumper77, welcome to the forum.

There are several things that you have to consider when upgrading the motherboard: 1) the Form Factor of of the mobo.  This is to assure that the stand-offs in the case will match the holes in the mobo. 2) the CPU socket (Intel or AMD).  This will assure that your CPU/processor will work 3) the type and speed of the memory.  This will assure that your memory will work with the new mobo and 4) the connectors in the case have to matcn those on the mobo.  HP has their mobos made to their specs.  So, the connectors may be proprietary.  You can choose a manufacturer's mobo and contact their Tech Support to see if they can tell you if it is compatible.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jumper77, welcome to the forum.

There are several things that you have to consider when upgrading the motherboard: 1) the Form Factor of of the mobo.  This is to assure that the stand-offs in the case will match the holes in the mobo. 2) the CPU socket (Intel or AMD).  This will assure that your CPU/processor will work 3) the type and speed of the memory.  This will assure that your memory will work with the new mobo and 4) the connectors in the case have to matcn those on the mobo.  HP has their mobos made to their specs.  So, the connectors may be proprietary.  You can choose a manufacturer's mobo and contact their Tech Support to see if they can tell you if it is compatible.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks old_geekstr, I think everything you said just about covers it. I'm not sure if replying after I accept your solution (and thumbs up), but have another question. Would it be better for me to just get the upgrade from HP, or would it just be better to get a new computer.

thanks.

...of course this msg is for anyone viewing it.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @jumper77.  At the risk of sounding like a salesperson :smileysurprised:, if it were me I would buy a new computer if it is in your budget.  Why? because the new computers are leaps and bounds (light-years) above even a two year old model.  I am using a HP Phoenix 860-170vr Gaming Computer.  The base model is approximately $1,700 USD.  This is an amazing computer; i7-6700K (4.0 GHz); 8 GB DDR4 memory; R9 390X video card.  I added a Samsung EVO 840 500 GB SSD.  It will boot in less than 10 seconds.  I can play any of the newer games on Ultra settings.  If you are not a gamer, I would be glad to help you choose a computer that would suit your needs better if you tell me how much you want to spend.

HP Recommended

I want YOUR computer 🙂

I don't believe I've EVER seen windows boot in 10 seconds!  That must be something that's awesome to see.

Is there anyway to take this conversation private? Don't know about you, but I don't mind you having my email address.

tanks

HP Recommended

Sorry, @jumper77, I can't give you my computer.

We can talk using Private Messages.  I will send you one so you can see what to do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.