Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello,

we have the same problem. It's obvious there's something wrong with the USB controller on these machines.

We sold 6300 Pro without a hitch, but then we upgraded to 600 Prodesk, then 400 Prodesk and now 400 Prodesk G2.5, and all of them have an evident faulty USB controller.

We also thought of them as releasing not enough power, but then we discovered we could make them work using an intermediate non-powered usb hub (sadly, not always). In our case, the problem are POS special keyboards, they're just internally a hub with a magnetic card and a chip card reader... Like a Cherry POS keyboard, but these are mainly "no-brand" keyboards.

Our national HP branch acknowledged us, after giving them some keyboards to test, keyboards that work perfectly in every machine you connect them, except these HP Prodesk, that they had no idea of how to solve the problem.

We're sure is not a driver problem, because is not OS dependant, in fact I use a machine with linux for the testing, just because the hardware error logging is way better (reading the syslog) than in windows. Is almost comical see the struggle for these HP machines trying to understand what is connected to their usbs when I connect one of these keyboards, and then connecting them through an $2 dollar a piece usb hub and work flawlessly in seconds.

If there's interest, I can dump here a transcript from the log.

I just wanted to share with RobertT82 that he is not alone.

HP Recommended

I just wanted to post in here the resolution that my team found to this issue. I just came across it as I was rolling out HP 800 G1 Mini workstations into some areas for the company I work for. We encountered the same issue described in this forum post about the barcode scanner going to unknown device upon reboot.

All previous models of workstations we use (DC5700, RP5700, RP5800, RP5810 and the 800 G1 Tower) did not exhibit this behavior for us. Only with the new 800 G1 and G2 Minis.

After exhaustive troubleshooting we found by enabling AMT in the BIOS resolved the issue, for us at least. (BIOS -> Advanced -> Management Operations) Per our standard BIOS setup for our workstations we disable AMT. But a new project we are currently testing we began enabling it on some of the computers in our lab. That is how we discovered the fix. After testing on some workstations at our desk as well in the lab the workstations on our desks didn't work but the lab did.

I hope this helps anyone else who comes across this issue.

Side Note: We are using Symbol/Motorola barcode scanners

HP Recommended

Hi All,

I work at a school and we're having USB issues as well, in our case we're using "BlueRigger" 25 foot USB Active extenders.

Here's the thing.......we have at least 75 of these ProDesk 400 G1 units. The extenders ( around 10 of them on different 400 G1 CPU's ), were working just fine under Win 7 - 32 Bit. We only changed ( 2 ) things this summer when we re-imaged the 400 G1's......we moved to Win 7 - 64 Bit ( fully patched ), and we upgraded the BIOS to v2.47 and then chose to reset all the BIOS's back to factory defaults after we updated them........after that, those "BlueRigger" USB extensions would no longer function; they now show up in windows Device Manager with the "yellow Triangle" stating they cannot start. They are simply "Generic USB Hubs" with no drivers for them. I've confirmed that the "BlueRigger" USB extensions work and install without drivers and install in seconds as "Generic USB Hubs" on Win 7, Both 32 and 64 Bit versions, and they also work and install on other makers systems like LENOVO Laptops, and DELL All-In-One units ( both of those also Win 7 - 64 Bit fully patched OS's ). I've also tried them on our other ProDesk systems ( HP 6000's, HP 4000's, and HP 4300's ) that are also Win 7 - 64 Bit, and the USB extenders work on those systems with the latest BIOS updates. So from what I can gather from your excellent info here, this seems to be a Prodesk 400, 600, 800 issue affecting both the G1, G2, and G2.5 series. I thank you all for your infomation, as I thought I was going crazy !!!  I will try your "AMT" bios fix and report back reguardless of wheather it works or not.  I was also curious as to what BIOS versions that all of you were running ???  There is a newer v2.48 update, but it only fixes a Time issue.

HP Recommended

Good News !!!

I looked for the BIOS-->ADVANCED-->MANAGEMENT OPERATIONS in the 400G1 v2.47 BIOS, but they were not there. I also tried the "put a cheap passive USB hub in-line before the USB device you want the BIOS to recognize", but the 400 G1 would not even detect the cheap USB 4 port hub correctly, so........I started to play around with the BIOS settings, and Bingo, the last ( 2 ) settings that I touched did the trick......the cheap USB hub and the original USB Extender that I wanted to get working are now both being recognized !!!!  And no, you don't need the cheap passive 4-port hub in-line before the device that you want recognized. Please try the below ( 2 ) BIOS changes and post back here.  The changes are........( FYI I'm using BIOS v2.47 on the ProDesk 400 G1 model ).....

1. Go Into BIOS using F10.

2. Navigate to.....ADVANCE------>DEVICE OPTIONS. Inside this menu you will see ( 2 ) settings......

* USB ECHI Port Debug = ENABLED

* USB 3.0 BIOS Driver Support = ENABLED

Enabling both of these settings gets all the USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports to recognize devices correctly. It may also help those of you who are having issues getting your Keyboards and Mice to work when you've re-imaged a CPU and it's coming out of SYSPREP. Be sure to unpack the HP USB v3.0 drivers into a folder called "C:\DRIVERS\USB 3.0" and add a CSCRIPT line into your UNATTEND.XML file to load the drivers during the final steps of sysprep before you call your naming script/operation, this will make all of your USB ports work so that you can name your computer. If you need more details, just leave a post here. Hope that helps !!!  🙂

HP Recommended

*** UPDATE ***  10-04-2016

Hi All,

Just thought I'd provide you with an update on these crazy USB 3.0 ports and associated drivers and some new things that I've just learned today.  FYI.....I'm testing on an HP 400G1 with BIOS v 2.48.

OK, so if you read my previous ( 2 ) posts from 09-13-2016 those BIOS settings changes would work PROVIDED that you were using the HP/INTEL USB 3.0 driver v3.0.3.60 ( from December 2014 - that's what I was using from HP's site - this is the lastest one that they had posted as of June 2016 ). With this driver I was experiencing BSOD STOP error codes ( c000021A and c0000005 ) randomly once or twice a week on my deployed machines, and on a fresh install of Win 7 Enterprise 64-Bit.   I looked at INTEL's site and saw that they have an updated USB 3.0 driver v4.0.6.60 from July 2016.  In the new driver's release notes there are many fixes ( including ( 3 ) for BSOD issues )......just one word of caution.......DO NOT uninstall the old v3.0.3.60 USB 3.0 driver before installing the new driver, doing so instantly caused an irrepairable BSOD upon reboot.....install the new v4.0.6.60 USB 3.0 driver over the old one....it will then update it to v4.0.6.60, ( don't forget to restart afterward !!! ), and after that point you can uninstall the USB 3.0 driver at any time without causing any BSOD's. Now on to the stranger issue......

In order to get the USB 3.0 ports to recongize a device without seeing the "yellow triangle", you had to be using the USB 3.0 driver v3.0.3.60 from December 2014, and my previous posts with the ( 2 ) USB 3.0 BIOS settings would let the devices work..........NOW what has to happen is that BEFORE installing the new USB 3.0 driver v4.0.6.60 from July 2016 you have to DISABLE the BIOS setting called "USB ECHI Port Debug" and reboot or else the new driver will tell you that "It's not supported on your system" because the USB v3.0 ports will not show up in the Windows Device Manager !!!  I can already hear you saying "this S**T is messed up".... I know, right !!!  And that's why I'm posting this.  Also, after installing the newer v4.0.6.60 driver, a new popup message will appear on your desktop......it's a new startup item that INTEL added called "iusb3mon.exe", this is there to monitor for changes on the USB 3.0 ports, and it is totally unnecessary, you can delete it from your startup config using CCLEANER, etc. It basically pops up little useless messages that will just annoy your users.....in my tests removing/deleting it from the startup DID NOT affect the functioning of the USB 3.0 ports in anyway !!!  I'll continue to post if anything else changes. Hope this info helps someone.  :generic:

HP Recommended

It sounds like you're having the same sort of problem I had when I first started in trying to use a new nanny cam.

I believe you're on the right track when you got yourself a USB port hub.  That seemed to help me. With the same sort of problem, I started using a Net Gear or Octiva hub.  I was getting that "HID" message, too.  Another thing that helped me: I temporarily replaced the new micro chip card-picture reader I bought to go with the cam with an older one that was a different brand left over from a previous nanny cam.  For some reason, after I temporarily used the older micro card, then the new micro card worked and I was able to download/review pictures taken with the new nanny cam without any further problems.

So, yes, I think you're on the right track when you suspect it's a compatibility problem.  Good Luck.

HP Recommended

Maybe the device's program does not include the[edit] code, you can try to add [edit] sdk to your main program, perfect support for USB hardware interface.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.