Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Merci i

HP Recommended

Well!  I got the G4050 working! In around about way. This may be long with some history.

I have been a long time user of VueScan and I upgraded many years ago to VueScan Pro. As I have bought scanners over the years I do not even bother with the software provided for the scanner but go right to VueScan.

Thinking back to when I first got the G4050 I remembered that Vuescan needed a source code or file from the HP scanner software in order to connect to the scanner. So you needed to load (install) the "HP Scanjet for OS X " and everything worked great until El Capitan and update 10.11.1.

My Mac evolution : Mac Pro, 4,1 - 2009, 2 x 2.26 - 8core;  upgraded with firmware 2010, 2 x 2.36 - 12core; Main drive is a PCIe Mercury Accelsior E2 SSD 960 GB.; RAM 32 GB 1333,; with 16TB of hard dive storage ranging for 4TB to 640GB.

I have found that when you shutdown/restart or reboot you lose the connection needed to run the G4050.

In order to use the G4050 it is a two step process to keep it working. So far as long as I keep the mac, scanner and VueScan on, it works for the duration. 

The steps;

1. The mac is on.

2. Install the HP driver. I used: “HP_ScanJet_v2.4.1.dmg” this works with the VueScan 64bit version.

3. Install VueScan “vuex6495”. Latest version,( 9.5.27 ) as of Oct 28,2015

4. Turn on scanner

5. Turn on VueScan.(if image capture pops up just close it)

6. It should connect. I have been using my scanner for a couple of days now.

DO NOT turn off or close Vuescan. Use the yellow button to sent it to the Dock if you want to use it during the day.

So now you are done and you closed VueScan and or shut down your mac.

The next time you go to use the scanner, VueScan will probably give you the beach ball and the application will hang. You will have to Force Quit (Command+Option+Esc) VueScan. unless it unexpectedly quits and then you’ll a message.—- I tend to hit ignore.

Keep a copy of the VueScan “vuex6495.dmg” handy. I keep mine on the desktop.

Open the “vuex6495.dmg” and drop the new VueScan.app into the Application folder. You will be asked to replace the old file or keep both. You want to replace the file.

Go to the Application folder and open VueScan.  it should connect to the scanner.

A couple of times the VueScan app has reconnected after a restart but, most times I need to reinstall the VueScan app.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

E una vergogna!

It is a real shame!

HP Recommended

Follow up:  I found that if you:

startup G4050

open 9.5.28 Force Quit (VS not responding)

reopen 9.5.28 - (the second reopen connects.)

It will then connect.

HP Recommended

Just spoke to an HP tech.  He insists that HP will be coming out with a new driver for HP Scanjet G4050 that will be compatible with  El Capitan 10.11.  He gave no delivery date.  He said that the scanner is still new enough and popular enough that a new driver is being worked on.  I am going to wait a few weeks and see what happens.  Being HP, who knows.  Hope this helps some of you.

HP Recommended

Confirmed that the process laid out by Major Matt works.

My OSX 10.11.1 was updated with new HP software on 10/30. G4050 is visible and stays visible in OS, but Image Capture still fails to connect.

VueScan demo 9.5.28 cooperates as long as I don’t quite VueScan.

Place the VueScan extracted from DMG into the Application folder for every boot of VS.

Thanks for noodling with it Major,

Karl

HP Recommended

Follow up:  I found that:

if you startup G4050.

Then open 9.5.28 it will hang the first time so you need to Force Quit (VS not responding).

then reopen 9.5.28 and it will connect.

I found no need to redrop in a new VS from the dmg. But I keep a copy close at hand.

I also found that:

if you startup G4050.

Then open" Image Capture" it will see the G4050 and try to connect  "Waiting for Scanner". In time it will change windows to say that no scanner is connected.

then open 9.5.28 and it will connect.

HP Recommended

Not compatible?

They still sell this turkey!

I'm getting tired of HP 'killing' scanners and printers... If they do deprecate this scanner, I will not be buying another scanner.

Part of this is also Apple's problem too. Having scanners die with every update is also tedious. Do they do this on purpose?

I await the updated driver, and hopefully soon...

HP Recommended

So how does one tell HP that if I can no longer use my scanjet G4050 with OS X El Capitan, my replacement scanner will not be an HP!

HP Recommended

Agreed:  HP I guess will no longer be on my wish list or any other list!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.