Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq 8300 Elite sff
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I can get my hands on a used Hp Compaq 8300 Elite sff desktop pc for free

i5-2400

4x2gb ddr3

pretty nice base to work with, clean it up re-apply thermal paste and that's a pretty **bleep** decent Cpu to get for free!

What i want to do is turn it into a a basic first pc for my 7 year old i want to add a dedicated Gpu though i was thinking something like a gtx750Ti with 60 watt because a it's nice price/performance and B it doesn't need a separate power supply.

My question: Assuming it doesn't fit the standard case could I rebuild this pc into a new midi tower case or does the mobo not support standard form factors? like micro Atx for example.

Kind regards,

Joepiler

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@joepiler, welcome to the forum.

The first thing that you have to determine is, does the motherboard have UEFI instead of a standard/Legacy BIOS.  The GTX 750Ti cards require UEFI.  There are cards that have a switch to allow them to work with either.  MSI is one of the manufacturer's who makes one of them.

The best way to know the Form Factor of the motherboard is to measure it.  Micro ATX boards are 9.6" x 9.6".  HP has their motherboards made to their specs.  Therefore, you have to assure that the holes in the boards matches the stand-offs in the new case and some of the connectors in the case, such as, the power button don't always match the HP connectors.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I'm picking it up on saturday i will know more then 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you for letting me know, @joepiler.  I would appreciate hearing the outcome.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Joe,

While the @old_geekster waits on you, let me throw something your way.

(1) The GTX 750Ti is automatically a "NO".  It's a full height card.  The SSF require low profile.

Standard profile cards can be up to 4.2 inches tall.

Low profile cards are limited to a maximum height of 2.536 inches.

(2) Here's a parts guide, with recommended cards (other cards) pg 2

(3) run "msinfo" from the search window, anf look for BIOS version.

(4) The motherboard 6 pin power plug, pg 4.  No ATX PSU.  Unless you get a part from the UK.

(5) worse, yet , I do believe your limited to cards not to exceed 35W on the slot.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hello guys,

I have an HP 8300 SSF and I am going to change its case to a larger one. Could you please be so kind to tell me which is the kind of case I would need to be sure the HP motherboard fits with no problems ?

ATX ? MicroATX ? Please help me 🙂

Thanks in advance.

Francesco Fazio

HP Recommended
You can't i've ended up stickibg a hd7000 series low profile passively cooled gpu on it and using it as a media streamer on my tv.

The mobo is custom for the sff case, it doesn't match any atx or itx standard.

Your best bet is tracking down a used 1155 mobo and re using the cpu ram and drives.
HP Recommended

Thanks 🙂 Much appreciated !

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.