Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavillion 23-g013w
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

i have a bad hard drive on this computer. I was going to rplace the hard drive and wanted to make it a lot faster.... What is the best way to upgrade the system?  Is this system worth upgrading?

Any feed back would be helpfull.

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't know what constitutes a "performance" HDD for desktops other than maybe a rotation speed of 7200RPM vs the more standard 5400RPM -- but that will generate more heat.

With laptop drives, you typically just unscrew then from a shield case, put in a new one, attached the case, and plug it back into the latop, and screw the cover back on.  No extracables are needed.

1TB SSDs hover around $500 -- so unless you really, really need the speed, it's a lot of money.  But it does have the added advantage of removing the most fragile component from the laptop as after that, except for the keyboard, there are no moving parts.

Good Luck with your upgrades.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

ac1022

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about upgrading your PC and wanted to help.

In terms of memory, your PC comes with 4GB of DDR3 SODIMM 204-pin PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600) memory and two memory slots.  Each slot can take 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, and 8GB sticks -- for a total of 16GB.

In terms of hard drive, your PC comes with a single 1TB drive, and to make your PC noticebly faster, you would need to replace that with an SSD -- but you would need one of the same capacity, and those are not cheap -- as there is no room for a second drive.

Your graphics are not upgradeable as they are integrated into the motherboard.

I couldn't find any information on whether or not the DVD burner is upgradeable.

HP does have Win10 drivers for your PC, so you could consider upgrading to Win10.

Whether or not is is "worth it" is purely a personal choice.  The memory upgrade will not produce much performance gain as 4GB is plenty for routine stuff.  The most gain would be with an SSD, but 1TB SSDs are very expensive.

Good Luck

If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

HP Recommended

Thanks , I will check into the drive. I really appreciate it.  I was looking a a 2 TB drive. Im glad I didn't order it before you replied. 

This is what I am wanting to do ......

1 TB WD black preformance desktop hard disk drive 6 Gb/s 64 MBCache WD1003FZEX.     $74

Crucial 8 GB (8GB x2). 16GB memory                                                                                                           $67

If it would help ,  I can get the same hard drive as above with 2TB  for like 40 bucks???

Do I need any cables or misc items to make it work?

Thanks again.

Aaron 

HP Recommended

I don't know what constitutes a "performance" HDD for desktops other than maybe a rotation speed of 7200RPM vs the more standard 5400RPM -- but that will generate more heat.

With laptop drives, you typically just unscrew then from a shield case, put in a new one, attached the case, and plug it back into the latop, and screw the cover back on.  No extracables are needed.

1TB SSDs hover around $500 -- so unless you really, really need the speed, it's a lot of money.  But it does have the added advantage of removing the most fragile component from the laptop as after that, except for the keyboard, there are no moving parts.

Good Luck with your upgrades.

HP Recommended

Thank you..... I was wondering the same thing.... Just because it says " high performance " doesn't make it any better than regular. Thank you for the help. 

Aaron 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.