Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

(model: 23-k001hk All-in-One)

Hello all--Asking advice/suggestions of wise and kind persons on the better path---and the how-to--for upgrading the speed of my current 1TB hdisk + 16GB SSD cache HP storage scheme by one of these routes:

1) Upgrade the installed 16GB mSATA SSD cache drive to an 64GB mSATA drive (Intel RST limit)

why: I regularly update a big whack (10-15GB) of data from the office,

so given that the daily volume of modified files is comparable to 16GB,

I'm assuming that a bigger cache would actually add value

2) install a "large" SSD drive to serve as the the primary boot drive by replacing 

the existing 1TB hdisk (I'm using a tiny fraction of this) with an SSD 2.5" drive

with a suitable bracket (and removing or disabling the 16GB SSD cache drive)

Thanks in advance for any advice on this, as HP does not seem to have any public information on this, nor any obvious means of accessing or examining the RST (firmware?) settings used in their SSDcache+hDisk arrangement (yes, tried Ctrl-I on boot, etc.--no joy).

--Rob in Hong Kong

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi WAWood,

A late thanks for your advice. Based on this feedback, and on having just discovered that the "hidden" ExpressCache software on my system quietly stopped working after upgrading to Windows 10 (and HP support does not currently seem to have updated ExpressCache software for Windows 10), I decided to install a large SSD drive and use it as the boot drive.

In case it might help other HP Envy Recline All-In-One owners, here is a summary of the steps that worked, with the obvious disclaimers that while this worked for me, it is not a "universal" solution, and also that if you mess with the hardware/software of your system, you are of course on your own, with no guarantees or responsibility from this author):

(also apologies for format--in a hurry)

System:

HP Envy Recline (model 23-k001h) running Windows 10

Basic goal:

Modify original storage setup:

1TB hdisk(boot drive) + 16GB mSATA SSD cache("tied" to hdisk via ExpressCache)

to:

1TB hdisk(spare drive) + new Samsung Evo 850 500GB mSATA SSD drive (as boot drive)

Result

Much, much "zippier" system: fast boot, app launching, etc.

Steps                                                  

Disable ExpressCache

(HP Envy Recline models seem to use this 3rd-party Windows add-on, instead of Intel RST):

In my case, as my recent move to Windows 10 took care of this for me (haha), I did not need to do this;  otherwise, I would assume one must stop the ExpressCache service, uninstall the ExpressCache software and/or drivers, then reboot--suggest you look this one up in the forums, as I cannot offer my own experience on this one.

Clear/offload as much unneeded data from C: drive (1TB hdisk) as possible.

Goal should be to have used space on C: be greatly below your 500GB (or whatever) new drive (in my case, I cut used space on C: to 100GB).

Also good idea to run Windows defragmentation on C:, as this can be helpful (necessary?) for shrinking this partition in the next step

Use Windows Disk Management to shrink Windows partition (mapped as C:)

Goal: you want net size of all partitions on hdisk (Windows + hidden/recovery/system partitions) to be a bit less than actual size of your new SSD (my "500GB" SSD was actually more like 465GB)

Warning: Disk Management may claim "not enough space" to shrink Windows (C:) partition when this is clearly not so--in my case, the problem was due to my Windows partition not being the last partition on the drive before the unallocated space (if any)—evidently this confuses Disk Management.  If so, you must move partitions using a 3rd party app like AOMEI (free app--worked fine for me) so that the Windows partition is the last partition on the hdisk, with any/all unallocated space located immediately after the Windows partition.

Result: when the dust settles, the allocated partitions on your hdisk should have a net size that is comfortably less than the true capacity of your new SSD (in my case, sum of partitions was 440GB on a 465GB-capacity SSD).

Physical upgrade of mSATA SSD card

• Power down PC, unplug from AC power, and remove plastic back cover:
  • Remove metal shielding that covers RAM:
  • Remove metal shielding that covers motherboard:
    • locate/remove 3 screws holding it down;
    • lift up edge of shielding closest to PC stand;
  • Locate the original SSD drive (look for tiny card labeled as SanDisk or some such), and remove 2 tiny screws that secure it to motherboard;
  • While keeping yourself continually grounded (strap, touch metal chassis, etc.):
    • gently remove original SSD and save it in some static-safe container (in case upgrade fails and you want to restore system to original hardware state)
    • gently insert new SSD mSATA card into edge connector,
    • and secure to motherboard using the same 2 screws
  • Replace motherboard shielding, RAM shielding, and plastic cover

Verify new SSD "visible" to BIOS:

On first boot up, use ESC to enter BIOS settings, and verify that BIOS "sees" both the new SSD and the original hdisk

Clone all partitions on hdisk --> new SSD

Start & log in to Windows, and use Macrium Reflect (free) to clone all partitions on hdisk to the new SSD--see great walk-through tips at:

http://www.howtogeek.com/199068/how-to-upgrade-your-existing-hard-drive-in-under-an-hour/

Remember:

• as per suggestion from link above, you should first a Macrium recovery disc
  • you should clone *all* partitions on original hdisk to the SSD

Result: cloned partitions now visible on new SSD; may have bit of extra/unallocated space on SSD  (can address this later)

In BIOS, change boot drive to new SSD

Reboot PC, hit ESC to enter BIOS to change boot order:

• make SSD be first boot drive
  • also suggest disabling booting from original hdisk (ensures that you're really booting from SSD)
  • save BIOS settings and exit BIOS

Verify you booted from SSD, and clean up unwanted drive mappings

Start & log in to Windows

(the fact that you can reach this point means you passed first test)

Use Windows Disk Management to

* ensure that C: is mapped to your new SSD;

* ensure you can still see original hdisk, too

* suggest that you remove any unneeded drive letter mappings

(except for C: drive!) to any other partitions on hdisk or SSD

Test via full reboot

As a further test, do a restart of Windows to ensure there are no issues with booting from SSD; again, once in Windows, use Disk Management to again verify that your C: drive is the partition on the new SSD

Windows SSD optimization

There are several Windows setting changes you should make when your primary/boot disk is an SSD, either via:

• If you bought a Samsung SSD, you can download/use their "Samsung Magician" app to do so (see "OS optimization" section), or
  • Google "windows 10 ssd optimization" to find any number of guides for doing this, such as:
  • Note: one of the most vital changes are those related to AHCI mode (TRIM ability)
  • Note: some suggested settings may not be 100% vital, for example:
    • page file on SSD: some writers suggest no page files on SSD, others say "keep it 'small'(??)"; most compelling advice I've seen is keep the pagefile on the SSD, but let Windows manage the size; in any case, should ensure your system has *ample* RAM (8GB+) for your usage needs.
    • "leave free space" (aka overprovisioning): SSD experts suggest that with current-technology SSD drives, this is not needed
    • "do not defrag": Windows 10 recognizes SSDs and disables defrag automatically

Any problems?

Note that at this point, you still have your original hdisk with windows/data from a few days ago, so if this migration is not working, you can always go back by disabling the SSD, and changing the boot drive (in BIOS) to the original hdisk

After a few days: some clean-up

When you're reasonably comfortable that your system is booting from SSD and Windows/apps are working properly, you may want to do the following:

• Use Macrium Reflect (free) or similar to save a snapshot of your current SSD partitions
  • After this backup, delete old/unneeded partitions on original hdisk. For some, Disk Management works; for others, may need to resort to using Admin command line "diskpart" program (read instructions carefully!), and use "Delete Partition Override" (be very, very sure that you've selected a partition on the *original* (i.e, "old") hdisk
  • Use Disk Management to create a new simple volume on now-blank original hdisk, to serve as a spare utility drive
  • Schedule regular SSD backup: SSD drives, as with mechanicals, will fail—it’s only a matter of time. It will happen. Thus, strongly suggest you set up regular (daily) snapshots of your SSD partitions. Again, I use Macrium Reflect for this, with a full backup weekly + differential backups daily, and save the images to the now-empty original hdisk in the PC
  • If your SSD has any meaningful unallocated space, you might wish to enlarge the Windows partition on the SSD using Disk Management to make use of this space

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Rob72HK

I would seriously doubt that a bigger cache SSD would yield any noticeable performance improvement.  If you have a lot of system memory (e.g., 32GB or 64GB) then it might, but with less than that, I would not expect to see any gain.

IF you're going to replace the HDD with an SDD, there is no need for an additional cache SDD, in fact, having one might cause runtime performance problems.

As to the cache settings, I am just a volunteer here and have no access to HP priviledged information, sorry.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi WAWood,

A late thanks for your advice. Based on this feedback, and on having just discovered that the "hidden" ExpressCache software on my system quietly stopped working after upgrading to Windows 10 (and HP support does not currently seem to have updated ExpressCache software for Windows 10), I decided to install a large SSD drive and use it as the boot drive.

In case it might help other HP Envy Recline All-In-One owners, here is a summary of the steps that worked, with the obvious disclaimers that while this worked for me, it is not a "universal" solution, and also that if you mess with the hardware/software of your system, you are of course on your own, with no guarantees or responsibility from this author):

(also apologies for format--in a hurry)

System:

HP Envy Recline (model 23-k001h) running Windows 10

Basic goal:

Modify original storage setup:

1TB hdisk(boot drive) + 16GB mSATA SSD cache("tied" to hdisk via ExpressCache)

to:

1TB hdisk(spare drive) + new Samsung Evo 850 500GB mSATA SSD drive (as boot drive)

Result

Much, much "zippier" system: fast boot, app launching, etc.

Steps                                                  

Disable ExpressCache

(HP Envy Recline models seem to use this 3rd-party Windows add-on, instead of Intel RST):

In my case, as my recent move to Windows 10 took care of this for me (haha), I did not need to do this;  otherwise, I would assume one must stop the ExpressCache service, uninstall the ExpressCache software and/or drivers, then reboot--suggest you look this one up in the forums, as I cannot offer my own experience on this one.

Clear/offload as much unneeded data from C: drive (1TB hdisk) as possible.

Goal should be to have used space on C: be greatly below your 500GB (or whatever) new drive (in my case, I cut used space on C: to 100GB).

Also good idea to run Windows defragmentation on C:, as this can be helpful (necessary?) for shrinking this partition in the next step

Use Windows Disk Management to shrink Windows partition (mapped as C:)

Goal: you want net size of all partitions on hdisk (Windows + hidden/recovery/system partitions) to be a bit less than actual size of your new SSD (my "500GB" SSD was actually more like 465GB)

Warning: Disk Management may claim "not enough space" to shrink Windows (C:) partition when this is clearly not so--in my case, the problem was due to my Windows partition not being the last partition on the drive before the unallocated space (if any)—evidently this confuses Disk Management.  If so, you must move partitions using a 3rd party app like AOMEI (free app--worked fine for me) so that the Windows partition is the last partition on the hdisk, with any/all unallocated space located immediately after the Windows partition.

Result: when the dust settles, the allocated partitions on your hdisk should have a net size that is comfortably less than the true capacity of your new SSD (in my case, sum of partitions was 440GB on a 465GB-capacity SSD).

Physical upgrade of mSATA SSD card

• Power down PC, unplug from AC power, and remove plastic back cover:
  • Remove metal shielding that covers RAM:
  • Remove metal shielding that covers motherboard:
    • locate/remove 3 screws holding it down;
    • lift up edge of shielding closest to PC stand;
  • Locate the original SSD drive (look for tiny card labeled as SanDisk or some such), and remove 2 tiny screws that secure it to motherboard;
  • While keeping yourself continually grounded (strap, touch metal chassis, etc.):
    • gently remove original SSD and save it in some static-safe container (in case upgrade fails and you want to restore system to original hardware state)
    • gently insert new SSD mSATA card into edge connector,
    • and secure to motherboard using the same 2 screws
  • Replace motherboard shielding, RAM shielding, and plastic cover

Verify new SSD "visible" to BIOS:

On first boot up, use ESC to enter BIOS settings, and verify that BIOS "sees" both the new SSD and the original hdisk

Clone all partitions on hdisk --> new SSD

Start & log in to Windows, and use Macrium Reflect (free) to clone all partitions on hdisk to the new SSD--see great walk-through tips at:

http://www.howtogeek.com/199068/how-to-upgrade-your-existing-hard-drive-in-under-an-hour/

Remember:

• as per suggestion from link above, you should first a Macrium recovery disc
  • you should clone *all* partitions on original hdisk to the SSD

Result: cloned partitions now visible on new SSD; may have bit of extra/unallocated space on SSD  (can address this later)

In BIOS, change boot drive to new SSD

Reboot PC, hit ESC to enter BIOS to change boot order:

• make SSD be first boot drive
  • also suggest disabling booting from original hdisk (ensures that you're really booting from SSD)
  • save BIOS settings and exit BIOS

Verify you booted from SSD, and clean up unwanted drive mappings

Start & log in to Windows

(the fact that you can reach this point means you passed first test)

Use Windows Disk Management to

* ensure that C: is mapped to your new SSD;

* ensure you can still see original hdisk, too

* suggest that you remove any unneeded drive letter mappings

(except for C: drive!) to any other partitions on hdisk or SSD

Test via full reboot

As a further test, do a restart of Windows to ensure there are no issues with booting from SSD; again, once in Windows, use Disk Management to again verify that your C: drive is the partition on the new SSD

Windows SSD optimization

There are several Windows setting changes you should make when your primary/boot disk is an SSD, either via:

• If you bought a Samsung SSD, you can download/use their "Samsung Magician" app to do so (see "OS optimization" section), or
  • Google "windows 10 ssd optimization" to find any number of guides for doing this, such as:
  • Note: one of the most vital changes are those related to AHCI mode (TRIM ability)
  • Note: some suggested settings may not be 100% vital, for example:
    • page file on SSD: some writers suggest no page files on SSD, others say "keep it 'small'(??)"; most compelling advice I've seen is keep the pagefile on the SSD, but let Windows manage the size; in any case, should ensure your system has *ample* RAM (8GB+) for your usage needs.
    • "leave free space" (aka overprovisioning): SSD experts suggest that with current-technology SSD drives, this is not needed
    • "do not defrag": Windows 10 recognizes SSDs and disables defrag automatically

Any problems?

Note that at this point, you still have your original hdisk with windows/data from a few days ago, so if this migration is not working, you can always go back by disabling the SSD, and changing the boot drive (in BIOS) to the original hdisk

After a few days: some clean-up

When you're reasonably comfortable that your system is booting from SSD and Windows/apps are working properly, you may want to do the following:

• Use Macrium Reflect (free) or similar to save a snapshot of your current SSD partitions
  • After this backup, delete old/unneeded partitions on original hdisk. For some, Disk Management works; for others, may need to resort to using Admin command line "diskpart" program (read instructions carefully!), and use "Delete Partition Override" (be very, very sure that you've selected a partition on the *original* (i.e, "old") hdisk
  • Use Disk Management to create a new simple volume on now-blank original hdisk, to serve as a spare utility drive
  • Schedule regular SSD backup: SSD drives, as with mechanicals, will fail—it’s only a matter of time. It will happen. Thus, strongly suggest you set up regular (daily) snapshots of your SSD partitions. Again, I use Macrium Reflect for this, with a full backup weekly + differential backups daily, and save the images to the now-empty original hdisk in the PC
  • If your SSD has any meaningful unallocated space, you might wish to enlarge the Windows partition on the SSD using Disk Management to make use of this space

HP Recommended

Would you please create a youtube video showing how you accessed SSD cache or point others to how to perform this.  It would be most appreciated.  HP doesn't want to advise on how to perform this.

HP Recommended

Sorry, but do not have the time to do so on top of drafting the detailed instructions above. Note, however, that I included links to HP videos on how to open the unit, which in combination with the instructions (above), gives you the answer you requested.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.  I just found another post where one can turn off the notification and doesn't have to bother with removing the drive.  They can just replace the old style spinning hard drive with a SSD.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.