Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion a6752f
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hi, I have a vista o/s and is there any way to upgrade to something newer as nothing supports it anymore?  I have no idea what I'm doing, all I know is this PC works perfectly fine, just no windows updates antivirus etc.  I've also heard bad things about 10, from all that have had it.  So I'm leary.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Considering the generation that your processor and motherboard come from, the best you will be able to do is Windows 7.

Otherwise, it is time to source a more current PC. It is amazing that yours is still working after so many years of service.

There are good things about Windows 10 along with the bad.

One good thing is that it is a better OS than Windows Vista ever was. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Your computer's specifications: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c01638224

indicates that your computer probably was manufactured in 2009.

The RAM and the motherboard and the disk-drive -- the most-likely components to "fail" due to old age -- are eight years old.

I would make a backup of all your personal files, before doing anything else.

If you don't want to pay over $100 US to purchase a license for Windows 10, consider spending nothing (actually, a small donation would be welcome) to install the UBUNTU variant of Linux. 

It is a "supported" operating system, including:

* Firefox for web-browsing;

* Thunderbird for E-mail (comparable to Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail);

* LibreOffice (reads/writes Microsoft Word & Excel & PowerPoint files).

What more do you need, unless "gaming" is something that you do ?

I have installed UBUNTU onto previously-Vista computers with 2 GB of RAM (compared to your 4GB on your system) and dual-core CPUs (compared to your quad-core), and it has brought "new life" to older hardware.

HP Recommended
Sounds Like your idea will work, but I have no idea what your talking about. I need simple terms. Not great with PC lingo.
HP Recommended

>  I need simple terms ...

If you are in the USA, access:  www.bestbuy.com

Into the "search" input-area, type:     refurbished desktop computers   and press ENTER.

Scroll through the list of computers.

You should be able to find one, under $150 US, that is running Windows 7 (not Windows 10).

Buy it.

It should be easy for a technophile to remove the disk-drive from your current computer, and temporarily connect it as a "slave" disk-drive in the replacement computer, and then to copy all your personal files from "old" to "new".

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.