Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP-Pavilion Elite 410y
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Can I upgrade my video card from a 6500 series to a R7-200 ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes.

That is only if you purchase a model that has legacy BIOS compatibility.  

Sapphiretech makes cards that have legacy BIOS compatibility and some that actually have a physical switch on the card to allow switching between UEFI and legacy BIOS compatibility. See the following catalog from Sapphiretech.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=2339BD93-8F69-4B7C-97FE-769DE2C3BDBF&lang=eng

Radeon HD r7 200 series video cards require a single six-pin PCIe power connector. Your desktop was not delivered with a PSU that supplies that, so you will also need to upgrade the PSU. Choose a nice modular unit by a manufacturer like Corsair. The builder units are highly regarded and reasonably priced

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Yes.

That is only if you purchase a model that has legacy BIOS compatibility.  

Sapphiretech makes cards that have legacy BIOS compatibility and some that actually have a physical switch on the card to allow switching between UEFI and legacy BIOS compatibility. See the following catalog from Sapphiretech.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=2339BD93-8F69-4B7C-97FE-769DE2C3BDBF&lang=eng

Radeon HD r7 200 series video cards require a single six-pin PCIe power connector. Your desktop was not delivered with a PSU that supplies that, so you will also need to upgrade the PSU. Choose a nice modular unit by a manufacturer like Corsair. The builder units are highly regarded and reasonably priced

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.