Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Beats All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

usb 2.0 hubs work but the 3.0 have never worked. Thumb drives and exterrnal drives don't show up in file manager. No problems indicated in device manager.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance.

After searching around I found new info: F2 at startup - BIOS - HP has a tool to check if various parts of the computer are working correctly. I (officially) learned that the two 3.0 usb ports do not work (despite device manager saying all devices are working properly). I received a "failure code" and a phone number to call. Tech support confirmed the failure code indicated the 3.0 ports don't work, and for $215 they can repair it (price including Fedex shipping).

I am seeing if someone locally replace the ports. Not sure the 3.0 ports are worth $215. After all, the computer works fine as is. It's just irritating they have never worked, that it took so long to finally find a solution, and that the warranty is expired.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

ughu1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about problems with your new HP PC and wanted to help.

You should not be having problems with a PC this new.

While this PC is still under warranty, you should contact HP Customer Support directly to have them put you in touch with HP Technical Support to see what they can do about diagnosing and repairing your machine remotely.

I did this recently and the HP Tech was able to remotely access my PC from the Internet and do the needed repairs.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello @uhu1,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I read your post about the USB issue, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that the USB 3.0 port does not seem to be working.

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the desktop?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number: HP Customer Support - Products

Based on the series, it does not seem like Windows 10 drivers are available for the product on the HP site.  Are you sure that you had these issues before upgrading to Windows 10?  In the meantime, you can try reviewing the following document.  Please post back with the results: 

HP PCs - Troubleshooting USB connections (Windows 10, 😎

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance.

After searching around I found new info: F2 at startup - BIOS - HP has a tool to check if various parts of the computer are working correctly. I (officially) learned that the two 3.0 usb ports do not work (despite device manager saying all devices are working properly). I received a "failure code" and a phone number to call. Tech support confirmed the failure code indicated the 3.0 ports don't work, and for $215 they can repair it (price including Fedex shipping).

I am seeing if someone locally replace the ports. Not sure the 3.0 ports are worth $215. After all, the computer works fine as is. It's just irritating they have never worked, that it took so long to finally find a solution, and that the warranty is expired.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.