Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I am trying to locate the TPM chip on my VIOLET-GL8E M2N78-LA 513430-002 motherboard to remove it and install it on my new motherboard due to my HDD locking without the chip. Running Windows 7 Home Premium.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Frederick_B

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I can not remount the HDD to resolve. The old tower no longer regognizes the HDD either. From what I have read this another security feature to prevent theft. I will have to chalk this up to my own lack of knowledge about TPMs and BitEncrypt software. I will just have to purchase another copy of Windows and reformat my HDD or purchase a new HDD if I can not reformat. I wish I had found this forum before I "Shot myself in the foot" on this one. Thank you for attempting to assist.

Eric

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello Emshelby,

TPM chips are soldered to the system boards on our notebooks and desktops and as far as I know we don't have any publically-available diagrams showing exactly where it is located - if we do I have been unable to find them even for my own viewing.

Due to the way TPM chips operate, if you changed the TPM to a different board it would recognize the change in hardware (e.g. the PCL5 register would change) and it would not operate as intended. You would still need to provide a recovery key on boot every time until you decrypted/unlocked the drive, fully reset the TPM, and then re-encypted/re-locked the drive.

My recommendation would be, if possible, reattach the hard drive to the original system and do the decrypt/unlock there, then redo it on the new board.

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Frederick_B

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I can not remount the HDD to resolve. The old tower no longer regognizes the HDD either. From what I have read this another security feature to prevent theft. I will have to chalk this up to my own lack of knowledge about TPMs and BitEncrypt software. I will just have to purchase another copy of Windows and reformat my HDD or purchase a new HDD if I can not reformat. I wish I had found this forum before I "Shot myself in the foot" on this one. Thank you for attempting to assist.

Eric

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.